Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do people assume that because you enjoy quilting you would relish mending their clothes?

Don't get me wrong, I love my brother-in-law. He is awesome and would give you the shirt off his back. Particularly if it is long sleeves and he prefers short sleeves. I went to their home the other night and he asked me if I would do him a favor. I said of course I would. He brings two long-sleeved t shirts out that he bought at Walmart for work and asked me if I would make them short sleeved. In my mind I said grrrrrrrr but out of my mouth came a smile and "I would be glad to!" My sister, on the other hand, asked him why he didn't just buy short sleeves to begin with. He said they didn't have any.

He said he wasn't in a hurry for them so I'm going to another Walmart. Hopefully I can exchange them for some short sleeves the right color and size. I thought about telling him I fixed them but I think I'll tell him the truth. Maybe he'll think of that himself next time.
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

2. Thanks shermur thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do people assume that because you enjoy quilting you would relish mending their clothes?

I started sewing with making clothing so it doesn't bother me. As a matter of fact it was probably the first sewing I ever did. My mother taught my GD how to mend a split seam and she is 5 and apparently she taught all of us that at around the same age. I think if I started out quilting like a lot of quilters I would be just as aggravated.

Good idea exchanging them if you can. And what is it about not being able to say no? I do that a lot as well.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why do people assume that because you enjoy quilting you would relish mending their clothes?

I understand! For years I did my SIL's mending, sewing (made curtains for her entire house, etc.), made quilts for her to give as gifts and so on. I'm talking 20+ years. Last year I bought her a sewing machine and gave it to her thinking my mending, sewing, quilting days for her were over. Oh contraire! Now when she calls she tells me the machine is all set up at her house for me to come mend yada yada yada! This year I got her sewing lessons at the local sewing dealer for her birthday in November. Maybe now she'll get the hint! Gotta love family!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasieg View Post
    I understand! For years I did my SIL's mending, sewing (made curtains for her entire house, etc.), made quilts for her to give as gifts and so on. I'm talking 20+ years. Last year I bought her a sewing machine and gave it to her thinking my mending, sewing, quilting days for her were over. Oh contraire! Now when she calls she tells me the machine is all set up at her house for me to come mend yada yada yada! This year I got her sewing lessons at the local sewing dealer for her birthday in November. Maybe now she'll get the hint! Gotta love family!
    Are you kidding? I think my crazy would have come out if I ever got a call like that. You are a good SIL to get her the machine first and now the lessons!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Designer Diva

Pipe Creek, Texas A wide spot in the road northwest of San Antonio
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grandmasieg View Post
    I'm with Lisa...my crazy would come out, too! You are exceptionally nice!
    "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

Designer Diva

Pipe Creek, Texas A wide spot in the road northwest of San Antonio
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quilted Fantasies View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I love my brother-in-law. He is awesome and would give you the shirt off his back. Particularly if it is long sleeves and he prefers short sleeves. I went to their home the other night and he asked me if I would do him a favor. I said of course I would. He brings two long-sleeved t shirts out that he bought at Walmart for work and asked me if I would make them short sleeved. In my mind I said grrrrrrrr but out of my mouth came a smile and "I would be glad to!" My sister, on the other hand, asked him why he didn't just buy short sleeves to begin with. He said they didn't have any.

He said he wasn't in a hurry for them so I'm going to another Walmart. Hopefully I can exchange them for some short sleeves the right color and size. I thought about telling him I fixed them but I think I'll tell him the truth. Maybe he'll think of that himself next time.
    I understand what you're saying. I don't sew clothing and only do simple repairs/mending. Have you tried doing a horrible job? HAHAHA, maybe he won't ask again!
    "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started out sewing clothes for dolls at eight years old (44 years ago) and then graduated up to clothes for me through high school. Did not sew as much while my kids were growing up. Now I quilt more than I sew clothes. Every now and then I will have people ask me if I can fix something and I love it because I pick and choose what I repair.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I tell everyone I do not mend. I even threaten to use a pretty fancy stitch. So, no one has asked. Even my DH and DS need their pants hemmed and they wear it as is. I sew quilts, not clothes. Maybe you should threaten to sew wit a fancy stitch. Especially if its a guy. I got the idea from someone who sewed an inchworm on the hem of her SIL pants. He never asked her to hem his pants again.
    "Trust in The Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In everything you do acknowledge Him and He will direct your path." Proverbs 3:5,6

Come Join the Fun
    Fall Mug Rug Swap & Secret Santa 2013
    Patriotic Christmas Stocking

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Precious1 View Post
    I tell everyone I do not mend. I even threaten to use a pretty fancy stitch. So, no one has asked. Even my DH and DS need their pants hemmed and they wear it as is. I sew quilts, not clothes. Maybe you should threaten to sew wit a fancy stitch. Especially if its a guy. I got the idea from someone who sewed an inchworm on the hem of her SIL pants. He never asked her to hem his pants again.
    Great idea! I've gotten pretty adept with FMQ feathers. I actually did something similar once when my husband asked me to patch his pants. I wish I had a picture of the hearts, flowers, etc on his blue jeans.
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LynneLeavell View Post
    I started out sewing clothes for dolls at eight years old (44 years ago) and then graduated up to clothes for me through high school. Did not sew as much while my kids were growing up. Now I quilt more than I sew clothes. Every now and then I will have people ask me if I can fix something and I love it because I pick and choose what I repair.
    I grew up sewing clothes. And my repairs still go to Mom. I was in 4H for years, and never wanted to sew clothing, but always had to because of the fashion show, which I hated. Plus, we were expected to wear the clothing to school as well, because it was one less thing to buy. Um, no, not in the district I was in - I would have gotten slaughtered (figure of speech). So I think I've blocked out those years from my memory. Haha. I am fairly good at straight lines though - great for quilting!
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama