Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Fun Quilt Challenge

I just had to stop stitching and propose a fun quilting challenge for people of any quilting capabilities. Winter time is coming, and in some states has already hit full force, and of course there are many people who are without homes or even a warm blanket to keep warm with. I know I personally have some hideously ugly fabric that I am totally stumped what to do with it. So, here's my thought process, a challenge for every quilter regardless of their quilting capabilities to raid their quilting stashes and find their least fabric fabrics, or to raid their own clothes closet and get out all of those old ripped jeans or cotton shirts, or tshirts, whatever, and to make a quilt with it. Now, here's the twist, they aren't allowed to keep the quilt, or give it someone who already has one. Whoever accepts this quilting challenge can use old blankets for batting, and a clean sheet or more ugly fabric for the backing, and once the quilt is complete take a picture and post it, then take the crazy quilt and give it to a homeless person. I know there are a ton of them here always begging on the street corner, so delivery would be easy, at a stop light simply roll down the window and instead of cash or whatever, simply hand them the quilt.
    I know that if I were to try to organize a challenge like this on my own it wouldn't reach very far, but you wonderful ladies already have the people following you and it would be able to reach more people that way. I think it would be amazingly fun challenge to do, and it would help those in need. Would you ladies at the Missouri Star Quilt Company please help to spread some warmth this winter?
    Thank you all sooo much for the time you've taken to even read this post. I hope and pray that you ladies would be willing to help motivate and challenge quilters to help a fellow person in need.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another Fun Quilt Challenge

I would like to join the challenge. I am giving myself through December to complete. I live in Florida, so I know the homeless will need them more toward that time even more.

Thanks for starting this thread!

3. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You have a great idea. I am afraid that I can't participate because I already quilt and other for 2 groups at a church, a home for unwed mothers and the 2 hospitals that helped my son into the world. My time and resources are stretched too far as it is.

I think this is a great cause and I was raised with Charity begins at home. For us that meant the local churches, local hospitals and the family or two that you knew were in need. I think these internet charity drives are just great but I am already committed. I wish I had more time and more money but I don't.

My prayers to all who do take this challenge. What a great cause!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

5. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Good idea, I have a quilt that I was not happy with how it turned out.... it is done correctly the overall look just isn't want I wanted so i think I will start with that one, I going to go wash it and put it in a nice bag and put in in my car. Really great idea.
    Thank you for thinking of this
    Sandy

7. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think this is a worthy cause and deserves a bump up.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

9. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea! I'll see what I can arrange.
    If you can't see it from 50 yards away on a galloping horse, it doesn't matter.

Follow my quilting adventures at Quilting Foote

Come join all the fun in our Farmer's Granddaughter Quilt Along!

Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. (I totally ripped this off from S)

11. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Our Alabama governor's wife is collecting quilts and blankets for homeless shelters. She does this every year at this time and is a quilter herself!

13. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltlover View Post
    Our Alabama governor's wife is collecting quilts and blankets for homeless shelters. She does this every year at this time and is a quilter herself!
    Good for her.... What a wonderful project...... I'm impressed that the Alabama Governor's Lady is a quilter, who continues our tradition of quilting for charities.... And us a quilter, herself....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

15. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

This is a great idea. I'll work on it after I get the stack of fleece hats finished....those are going to the local cancer center for the patients who need to keep their bald heads warm. It is a joy to sew for others....family or not.

If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?

17. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewtotallycrazy View Post
    I just had to stop stitching and propose a fun quilting challenge for people of any quilting capabilities. Winter time is coming, and in some states has already hit full force, and of course there are many people who are without homes or even a warm blanket to keep warm with. I know I personally have some hideously ugly fabric that I am totally stumped what to do with it. So, here's my thought process, a challenge for every quilter regardless of their quilting capabilities to raid their quilting stashes and find their least fabric fabrics, or to raid their own clothes closet and get out all of those old ripped jeans or cotton shirts, or tshirts, whatever, and to make a quilt with it. Now, here's the twist, they aren't allowed to keep the quilt, or give it someone who already has one. Whoever accepts this quilting challenge can use old blankets for batting, and a clean sheet or more ugly fabric for the backing, and once the quilt is complete take a picture and post it, then take the crazy quilt and give it to a homeless person. I know there are a ton of them here always begging on the street corner, so delivery would be easy, at a stop light simply roll down the window and instead of cash or whatever, simply hand them the quilt.
    I know that if I were to try to organize a challenge like this on my own it wouldn't reach very far, but you wonderful ladies already have the people following you and it would be able to reach more people that way. I think it would be amazingly fun challenge to do, and it would help those in need. Would you ladies at the Missouri Star Quilt Company please help to spread some warmth this winter?
    Thank you all sooo much for the time you've taken to even read this post. I hope and pray that you ladies would be willing to help motivate and challenge quilters to help a fellow person in need.
    Totally LOVE this idea - yes no matter how booked I am, there is always ONE that is a bit "funky" colored or whatever and omg how many homeless on street corners - EASY delivery system -- May I post this on my blog too? Let's try to spread the word further

Also there is a blog dedicated only to Charity Quilts of all kinds - they would also help spread the word, let me find that link

(((((Hugs)))) You are blessed in thought word and deed!

Debbie
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

19. Thanks sewtotallycrazy thanked for this post