Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Machine recomendations please :)

I recently purchased a Brother Innovis 450 Q that is geared toward quilting. Has a good throat space and came with an extension table. As Karen said, you will get as many answers as there are quilters. We all have our favorites. My suggestion would be to get as much machine as you can that is within your price range. A larger throat does make a world of difference when quilting.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

2. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Janome.

A while ago someone posted a link to a video that interviewed a sewing machine repair man. He recommended Janomes because the insides are metal and not plastic like so many other brands. He said the plastic machines break easier.
    Gayle

4. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Pfaff girl. IMO you can't beat the IDT for quilting. As its been said before it is personal preference and everyone has a favorite, you need to test drive a few and see what each has and then see what is available in your price range.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

6. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

8. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

My honey just bought me a new Janome and I absoultely love it. It is a sturdy machine, quiet, has larger opening for quilting. And I think it will last me a long time.

10. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If I had it to do allover again, I would go basic straight stitch and the biggest throat I could afford.
    But that's just me....
    What's your budget, chica?
    JUKI's are also worth a look!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

12. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Janome fan, too.... You can count on Janome for high quality machine.....even the lower end ones have features found in the higher priced models in other brands.... I've has my DC2007LE for 6.5. years, and have had no trouble with her... I've also had a Jem Gold, and a Jem Platinum.....both bought 10 & 12 years ago....no problems with either if them, either.

My first Janome was the Jem Gold.... It is a really nice little machine, but the I'm not sure it s made anymore. The Jem Platinum is about the same size, but has a better needle threader, and the all important needle/down function. This means that you can push a button, and then every time you stop sewing, the needle will go to the down position.... That way, your fabrics will stay in place... It especially nice when free motion quilting.... The Jem Platinum is a great, high quality machine to learn on. It's also great for classes, because it only weighs 11-12 pounds...

No... I do not work for Janome... I just think that they put out a superior product....

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

14. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It really does depend on the dollars you will have to spend. I have the Janome 7700 and really like it. The main thing that I like is the 11" throat. I would have a difficult time getting along with a small throated machine now. It also sews very smoothly with nice stitches. Mine was about $3000 but I think I have seen them on line for a little less.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

16. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Janome 8900 in August and I absolutely love it. It has a lot of stitches, does beautiful stitches, has 11 inch throat space, and is a dream to quilt on. I was crazy about my Brother 1500, but this is so much better.

18. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a Pfaff a few weeks ago and really love it. I would recommend that you sew on any you are considering. Also, dealer support is huge. I started out just wanting one for quilting but my husband convinced me to look into embroidery so I purchased a machine that will do both. I am having a lot of fun practicing and am planning my next project. It really opened up opportunities to make new things.

20. Thanks Trudyw thanked for this post