Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fabric Storage? Organization?

Does anyone have any suggestions for containers or even just ideas that will help me get organized...

I've never had to worry about organizing my fabric up until recently due to the fact that I hadn't had very much and it was easier just to set it off to the side... that pile has started building though and I can't keep my two year old out of it. Lol

Anyways, I need something that's not too expensive and maybe something not too big that could possibly sit on top of a table.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric Storage? Organization?

Something with shelves would be ideal. Do a search for comic book boards on this site and you will get some good ideas for managing your fabric so you'll know what you have. If your table isn't used for anything else, you might be able to find something with shelves that will fit on top of it. My husband has gotten very creative with adding more bookshelves for his ever-extending library. He got a small bookcase from Lowe's and put it top of his filing cabinets to extend his space...maybe you could do something like that?

Good luck and I'm sure you'll find some good suggestions here...
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

3. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!! I'll look into it.
    I may need to just price it and see if building my own shelves would be cheaper than buying something already made. At least then it would be the right size.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mandy - soon I'll be posting pics of my new sewing studio, including new and very inexpensive shelving. I'm using four $18 bookshelves from WM (fine unless you are looking for something to carry heavy loads). I am using comic book boards to fold my fabric, and Dad also put up four shelves on the walls that cost me about $40 for all 4.

Do you have lots of floor space or wall space? Do you have extra room in your closet? Or could you even post a pic of what your room looks like now so we can make suggestions?
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

6. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used clear plastic shoe boxes at first and still do for projects or cut pieces. I have graduated to larger plastic totes that hold more and have sorted somewhat by size and somewhat by type. Like all my pinks are together, all the kiddie stuff together, fat quarters together, etc. So far I don't have a huge stash so this has worked well for me. I also have a couple of those plastic rolling drawer units under my sewing table [which is actually a wide board] that have light, medium and dark pieces in them.
    Have fun organizing!

8. Thanks AlohaSandy, mandymae thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Have a look in the albums of some of our co-quilters here. They have some great ideas about storage.
    Maybe you could use up some of your stash and sew some boxes currently posted everywhere here; they could hold more fabrics.
    greetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

10. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You might check out the sewing room show & tell thread too. That might give you some different ideas on how to use you space, or at least give you a jumping off point.

I took a fat quarter (folded how I'd store it) with me when I went shopping for containers. I found a perfect size and bought 10 of them. I then installed a set of shelves that fit them stacked two high and cleared the magazine holder boxes. It worked great.

I thought the 10 were overkill, but I have stored other things (lace, ribbon, zippers) in them on the shelves and when I went to buy more, they didn't carry that size any longer. So think about those types of things, especially if you want a cohesive look to your organizing. It is also easier if you can get access to what's in the container easily. If I have to shift three large totes to dig through the one on the bottom, I'm going to be less likely to do that than if I can pull out a drawer and only rummage down a few inches.

Don't forget to label your container. A piece of scotch tape with sharpie, (so you can peel it off easily when you change what's in there), or a nicely printed slip of paper taped to the outside helps remind you what's where.

Good luck on getting your space in order!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

12. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nyscpa2be View Post
    Mandy - soon I'll be posting pics of my new sewing studio, including new and very inexpensive shelving. I'm using four $18 bookshelves from WM (fine unless you are looking for something to carry heavy loads). I am using comic book boards to fold my fabric, and Dad also put up four shelves on the walls that cost me about $40 for all 4.

Do you have lots of floor space or wall space? Do you have extra room in your closet? Or could you even post a pic of what your room looks like now so we can make suggestions?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll take a look around and see what others have done.

Amy - I have a huge area at the moment, however due to the fact that it's at my parents house I'm limited to only floor space. So for now wall space is out of the question. And for that same reason until I have a space of my own, I think something that could easily be transported for when I do move would be desirable.

I've already found some great ideas after looking around, just gotta get to a store and see what I can find.
    Thanks again everyone!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Walmart bookcases are great if you have the floor space - and the prices are perfect. I have fabric bins - JJ Cole Storage Box from Amazon $14.89 - love them - they come in different colors as well.

15. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Mandy,
    I bought plastic milk crates from Wal-mart and went to a local Joanns and asked for empty fabric bolts (these were free).
    I cut the bolts to fit in the crates and I wrap my fabric on them just like at the stores. They are light, and portable and easy to see what you have.
    Good Luck.
    Pinterest is a great site to get ideas too.
    Michele

She who dies with the biggest fabric stash wins.....

Life just seems to get in the way of quilting.

17. Thanks mandymae thanked for this post