Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fabric Brands for Flannel

Hello,

I've made my first quilt, except for the signature label and that's happening soon, and want to purchase the fabric for my 2nd quilt for my daughter-in-law. She's asked for it to be made of flannel. Which leads me to my question. My master quilter friend has taught me the importance of using quality fabrics. She's out of town and I can't ask her: Are there brands I should be looking for when choosing flannels?

Thanks!

Bunny
    (icwilson)

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fabric Brands for Flannel

I don't know of any specific brands, but make sure you feel the flannel. You'll want to choose flannels of a similar weight, and you'll be able to feel if they're light with a low thread count, or thicker, with a higher thread count. I would go for the higher thread count. I have had flannels beard, so you do want to prewash, to see what they're going to do.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

I have used Moda flannels and they are awesome! I got precuts and mixed with yardage, since the precuts weren't washed I did not was thIe yardage and had NO problems with shrinkage. I got suckered into buying some cheaper flannel for a baby quilt and it pilled so badly when it was washed the back of the quilt looked like it had been washed 100 times! I agree, feel the flannel and make sure it has a heavy feel to it and the back is tightly woven. The moda flannel I used was not fuzzy at all on the back and tightly woven. It washes like a dream and gets even softer!

4. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The Moda flannels are fantastic! They are not flimsy and are incredibly soft!
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

6. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the replies! My daughter-in-law wants the flannel to be all plaids (but I'll be adding some solids) so knowing that Moda flannels are great gives me a starting search point. My local quilt shops don't carry plaid flannels so I'll have to order online. Now, to find PLAID flannels that work together!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

This is great info....

I too was wondering where to get good flannel for my backing. This held up finishing my quilt. So to Moda here we go!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I can also vouch for Moda flannel. I'm using it now on a quilt for my DH and it's incredibly soft.

Here's some flannel to choose from: https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/browse?q=flannel

Bernatex is also a good flannel.
    Vonnie

10. Thanks icwilson thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again for all the help. I just purchased the Essex Flannel Fat Quarter Bundle from Missouri Quilt and can't wait to get started!

Bunny