Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Owls in the City - Scraps Winner

I am dead tired tonight and it's only Tuesday of a very busy week for me! Lisa will be doing the posting for a few days so that I can go to bed early and hopefully (cross your fingers) stay in bed for the night, sleeping or not.

The scrap pieces contest was lots of fun for me - you guys are so creative! I bet you've thought of lots more things to write about since last night. That's the way things always work!

I thought we had a winner with Bubba on the very first post with her guess of 37, but then in the next post Lisa beat her with the winning bid of 38! Congrats, Lisa! Your box of scraps will be heading your way soon. Enjoy!

I came up with tonight's topic because of my son Jacob. He is deathly afraid of spiders. His is a true phobia. He found one in a box in the recycling bin and just shuddered from head to toe and beat it out of the area in record time. He did not stop shaking for a few minutes. It was a sight to see.

My question to you is, what are you afraid of? What scares you? No fair saying dead bodies or anything like that, nothing that we are all afraid of. And to balance it out, what do you love? What makes you happy and peaceful?

For me, I am afraid of mid-winter power outages. I'm afraid we'll run out of food before we shovel our way out, or that we'll freeze to death since we have no secondary source of heat. The worst season is coming up for me soon. Too soon. One thing I like best in all the world is the feeling of diving under water in a lake in the heat of summer. I love how refreshing it is and it reminds me of the happiest days of my childhood.

Now it's your turn. Let's hear what you have to say!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Night Owls in the City - Scraps Winner

First I want to say thank you Cyndi! I promise to put those scraps to good use.

Second, I chose 38 because that is how old I was when I got married. I didn't even see Bubba's number because I thought I was the first one posting.

What am I afraid of: I am afraid of living without a dog. I was attacked in my home once at 2:30 in the morning. My daughter was camping with my parents so I was out with friends and when I came in I was grabbed. My first Alaskan Malamute Dallas flew through the air and saved me and went after the guy. Ever since I cannot be in my home or in any building without really being afraid. I train my dogs to stay with their people. Right now one is on the landing going upstairs because the Peter's are in bed and the other is right next to me. I can't live without a dog......

What makes me the happiest/what do I love:

I have 3 favorite things that always make me feel joy and peace.

1-Being in hubby's arms, smelling his neck and him giggling. In that moment I am just perfectly me if that makes sense.

2- Being with my kids. Brenna-22, watching her mother her kids and being a great big sister to my Lil' Guy and even gaining up on me with Big Peter. Lil' Peter being so excited when we are cooking or baking something or working on his train layout w/Dad. Lil' Miss Kora Mae when she is in the pool with her Papa and when she is in "our" sewing room and she is planning away. Lil' Miss Lillyana Marie, my mini me. Kora has my hands and my personality but that Lillyana is a dead ringer for me in every baby picture my parents dug out. She just looks at me and her whole world lights up. They give me wrinkles because all I do is smile when they are around. Except when they are bad evil devil spawn children that need to be punished.

3- Being in the woods with my Dogs. No phone, no talking, no leashes. Just breathing, hiking, seeing, feeling the air and real peace. No worries, no concerns, just the gifts of nature with my 2 overgrown pups to keep me safe.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Cyndi, how your son feels about spiders is exactly how I feel about snakes. I am petrified of them. In fact, I can't even look at one, not even on TV. My DH loves snakes and watches nature shows all the time, if I walk into the room, I shield my eyes. One year we went to California on vacation, went to see Joshua Tree National Park while we were there. There were warning signs all over about snakes..."watch where you place your hands and feet and look before you take a seat" I was a nervous wreck the whole time we were there. I wouldn't let any of my 5 kids venture further than 2 ft away from me. It was NOT a relaxing trip to the park.

Here are three things that bring me peace:
    ~going to church
    ~being anyplace in the Adirondacks in Upstate New York
    ~visiting Benedictine College where some of my kids have gone...I swear my blood pressure lowers when my car turns into the campus entrance.
    KAREN from Kansas

"Sometimes," said Pooh, "the smallest things take up the most room in your heart." by A.A. Milne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Being under water would scare me to death, since I can't swim; don't even like to get my face wet in the shower. I am afraid of snakes; makes me sick for awhile when I even see one. I fear something happening to my loved ones.
    Love my family and being around them; husband, kids and grandkids. I also love all the dogs we have ever had. When something or someone tics me off or I feel sad, the dog can always make me feel better. Dogs are so loyal, and fun to be around!
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid of the car breaking down or having a flat at night. The towns here are fairly far apart so I avoid driving at night. I don't own a cell phone. I had a flat taking the girls to school and we had to hitch hike. Luckily one of their friends mom picked us up. That was a looong morning.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Good questions. I am afraid of drowning. Not dying. Do not know why. I like the pool and the florida west coach beaches. I am ok with where ai feel ai have dontrol of my place in the water. Nuts huh

What makes me happy is seeing my girls reach goals they make for themselves. My baby girl (25) just gor her new credentials today as an RN in a hospital emergency room and the middle one got the promotion she was wanting -a small step at the moment but a step in the right direction. And since they are all on their own (older one is married and lives in sarasota and is an LPN with a chef hubby how cool is that). I love being able to do whatever I want whenever I want. Loving quilting

Best thing ever that I love is going on vacation with my little family

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hulamoon View Post
    I'm afraid of the car breaking down or having a flat at night. The towns here are fairly far apart so I avoid driving at night. I don't own a cell phone. I had a flat taking the girls to school and we had to hitch hike. Luckily one of their friends mom picked us up. That was a looong morning.
    get a phone even a cheapie one to make emergency calls. You will feel so much safer and take that fear off your shoulders. Thats scarry these days

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats to you Lisa on winning the box of scraps and for being the Night Owl leader for a few nights while Cyndi catches up with her sleep.

Cyndi we have a gas fired fireplace that doesn't need electric power to operate so in the event of a power outage in the winter we have one room that will be warm. Found out after Hurricane Sandy that we could cook on our gas range by lighting the burners with a match, also our water heater kept making hot water so we could take showers.

Ever since I was a child I've been afraid of a tidal wave like to ones I saw in a movie that washed the whole tropical island away. I think Jon Hall survived because he tied himself to a big tree. As an adult I realized the fear came from being on the beach with the waves coming in and knocking me down, the waves seemed 100 feet tall and capable of washing me out to sea. Even though I have lived the past 53 years very close to The Shore I've never been a beach person. Needless to say I don't know how to swim.

I love so many things. First thing that comes to mind is celebrating good events and times with family and friends like we did on Saturday at my niece's wedding ceremony and later dinner reception. May
    Last edited by MayinJerset; October 9th, 2013 at 01:12 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What is a fear.....I guess I would have to say that snakes give me "the willies"........they make my skin crawl. In the past they didn't creep me out as bad but I think I am worse about it now. Maybe it's because we have seen 6 or 7 in our yard this year......yuck!!!! Fortunately our dogs will stay back & bark if they see one.........but we know the bark when something is wrong!

What makes me happy............my husbands hugs, smiles & laugh........our happy, silly dogs or any other happy dogs........sitting outside in the spring or fall & reading a good book........even better sitting outside somewhere on vacation...enjoying the view with my husband!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kgrammiecaz View Post
    get a phone even a cheapie one to make emergency calls. You will feel so much safer and take that fear off your shoulders. Thats scarry these days
    I have one somewhere. I don't know if I have the cord to charge it though. I bought it at walmart when I was redoing my aunties house on the mainland so I could get a hold of contractors. Then one of my dd's bought me a nice Nokia and put me on her plan (sent it to me) then asked for it back when I came home to give it to her friend. Not the phone but the plan. What a sweet girl.After paying 10 yrs for hers.

Lorie