Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Janome comments... thinking of a 3160 or 9900

i got a quantum 9960 - it and the futura are apparently junk. before you buy a singer, talk to a reputable repair man.
    take his/her advice on what machine is the best value and has least amount of problems.

i sent the singer back to amazon and bough the janome 9900 and then bought a janome platinum for the quilting guilds.

good luck

nana
    I love someone with Autism.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I am pretty familiar with the 420. The 4129 is auto tension and that is the sole reason that I am looking at it. I don't think the 420 is. So, anyone have the 4129? Pros, cons of that one? Which would you choose, PC-420 or SB4129?

IGNORE....POSTED IN WRONG SECTION.
    Hugs,
    Joanne

There are no mistakes, only happy accidents. - Bob Ross

A girl needs to surround herself with TONS of happiness.
    Happiness = fabric!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Singer has too many models from low price to high, it really depends on what Singer model you are talking.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Janome is making some of the higher end Singers, the S series ( gold faceplates) at least the S16 and S 18, and maybe the S10. So don't diss all Singers! I have several iterations of the Singer One and I find them very usable and light enough to carry to classes and with a nice extension table. I bought them for my daughters and my sewing school classes.

The newest Janome line the Sky 5 and 7 look good and reasonable for a mid range priced machine.
    Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 22nd, 2016 at 11:06 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose. But, keep your local quilt shop in mind when purchasing.
    1.) If you have problems they will more and likely have better customer service and in the long run it may actually cost less.
    2.) Do not purchase anything without playtime so you can really get a feel for what you want.
    3.) Do the machines listed have a digital learning curve that requires classes? If so, it may be best to go with who you know and trust and can call on when you have a question.

Have fun with whatever new machine you end up with!
    Blogging ahead.....research in quilting and sewing with a dab of cooking/recipes too.

https://myquiltprojects.wordpress.com/

https://thecookbookproject.wordpress.com/

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I was told to steer clear of the 7700s especially used ones. They were having some issue I can't remember what it was. But it was suggested to steer clear of them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say my new to me 6600 that I got in 2010 has been a dream! Just love it!
    My friends hear the song in my heart, and sing it to me when my memory fails. 

Eileen

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 7700 (the one that is all white, not the one with red) and love it. Haven't had any problems. Love my Janome.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishrn View Post
    I have to say my new to me 6600 that I got in 2010 has been a dream! Just love it!
    Love my 6600 too. great machine Kathy

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Deegles......there's a lot of truth in what you say here. I purchased a Viking /Husqvarna on the advice of my sister who had a Pfaff embroidery machine ( I don't know which one she owns , it's probably about 14 yrs old by now ) . Why she told me to get the Viking /Husqvarna instead of a Pfaff ? Who knows ? It took me a long time ( and I am still not doing a lot with the embroidery unit ) to do much with the embroidery.
    I think the biggest problem was I didn't spend much time "playing " with both the Viking /Husqvarna ( Designer SE ) and OR the Pfaff. I probably should have. I have considered going BACK to the local shop to try out the Pfaff to ease my mind about the purchase of the Husqvarna. I honestly think that if I would "quit" worrying about possibly "damaging" the machine in some way, I would probably do more embroidery !
    Last but not least....my DH purchased the machine at a shop that had the Designer SE's on sale at the time.(It was a Christmas Gift ) The problem with that was the shop is about 90 minutes away from my home, and if I want classes at the shop that is in my hometown, I have to pay for them,because the machine wasn't purchased here in the town I live in. ( yes, including the new owner classes ). So, if I were to purchase another high-end machine....it will be purchased at a shop here in my hometown.LESSON LEARNED !!!!
    I understand why DH purchased it at the shop he did ( he got an awesome deal and purchased everything that the Designer SE came with at the time )
    Last edited by redcaboose1717; February 25th, 2016 at 11:39 AM.

Jacqueline ( Sugar ) Dorer-Russell
    http:\\www.sugarssmilinpapercrafts.BlogSpot.com

"I miss the me I was when you were here"