Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Thread: Pet Portraits

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pet Portraits

We are very active with our local Animal Care & Control. My other half volunteers at the shelter and we open our home to dogs in need of fostering before they are ready to be adopted. Because I am a vet tech, we get most medical cases. I overdose these furry ones with affection and teach them that not all humans are bad and that they deserve to have a safe and warm place to live, food in their stomachs and to be loved unconditionally . Emotionally, I am unable to physically take them back to the shelter when it is time for them to be adopted. My other half takes them back and I stay home and hug my fur babies and cry! I know that I am only a bridge for them; my job is to get them ready for their furever homes!

Okay, i kind of stumbled off the path I was heading down! Every year, our Animal Care & Control holds a fund raiser during our major festival. It is called "Picture Your Pet". A local professional photographer donates his time and materials and pet owners can get photos of their pets for a donation to the shelter. We get pictures done every year. The pictures always have a theme and the dogs always have a bandana made special for the picture. This year, I made a necktie for my male Shepherd and a big bowed scarf for my girl shepherd. I made a bow tie for my Pomeranian. The first picture didn't turn out very well. The shepherds had no interest in sitting still for a picture. We decided we would get a picture of our Pommie by himself as he loves to pose for pictures. Hope these make you smile!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	57110   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	57111  

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig

2. Thanks shermur thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pet Portraits

Sweet!!!!

We are foster parents to shelter pets, too. I don't have as much trouble saying goodbye as I used to, we have literally had hundreds now. I used to try to keep track, but lost count a few years ago at @150. Isn't is a wonderful feeling knowing that the dog you are sending to it's furever home would have been euthanized if not for the work you do? Makes it all - the messes to clean up, the barking and the tears worthwhile. My youngest daughter is also a vet tech so we have had some pretty rough cases.
    Donna

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The pictures are priceless. What a cute idea. Made me smile.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How adorable is that! Your pommie is totally darling!!! They all look wonderful...just not in the right mood for posing!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the photo's. Why do dogs like that and mine with those beautiful big ears fold them down when you want to take a picture? Every time.

Although my first Alaskan Malamute was a rescue I don't foster. I have Mal's now and they get as attached as I do. My Male is wonderful with the only exception is him thinking my Karli is his when it comes to other dogs. I know I could correct that but don't want to work that hard right now. We still have little ones around all the time so I will foster when I decide I am done with puppies and there are no more babies around. I do other things like donate money and food and such to the rescue. It is a wonderful cause no matter what shelter or rescue group.

Your dogs look very proud to be dressed so well for their photo's. Who came first by the way, big or little ones?
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    Love the photo's. Why do dogs like that and mine with those beautiful big ears fold them down when you want to take a picture? Every time.

Although my first Alaskan Malamute was a rescue I don't foster. I have Mal's now and they get as attached as I do. My Male is wonderful with the only exception is him thinking my Karli is his when it comes to other dogs. I know I could correct that but don't want to work that hard right now. We still have little ones around all the time so I will foster when I decide I am done with puppies and there are no more babies around. I do other things like donate money and food and such to the rescue. It is a wonderful cause no matter what shelter or rescue group.

Your dogs look very proud to be dressed so well for their photo's. Who came first by the way, big or little ones?
    BG, is our female and she is a Shepherd /Akita mix. She was here first and she is 9 yo. 2nd is our male Shepherd, Cooper. We think he is a Shepherd/Malinois mix. We got him 2 years ago at the age of 4 yo. We got him from a not so nice shelter. He was heart worm positive and only weighed 54 lbs. Lastly, is our Pommie Toby Bean. He is my "Old Man" at the age of 15 yo. We got him 1 1/2 yrs ago from a rescue. He had been an owner surrender to a shelter at the age of 14 yo and a rescue saved him from the shelter. I purposely sought out a "senior male Pom" because not very many people want an older Pom. He had to be neutered and all his teeth pulled. He came to us with an enlarged heart. 2 months ago, he went into Congestive Heart Failure and he now takes medicine twice a day. He is the leader of the pack and the boss of us humans. I had to drive 3 hours each way 2 weekends in a row to adopt him and I would do it again in a heartbeat!!!! When we are no longer within the city limits, I will adopt a couple more senior Poms. I have visions of a whole gaggle of them running underfoot!!!

Not all wounds are so obvious. Walk gently in the lives of others - Unknown Author

No one has ever become poor by giving - Anne Frank

http://www.etsy.com/shop/thequiltedpig