Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default embarrassing moment

Oh er. The police have a couple of big vans and cars up the lane today. Some police are lifting the grids and investigating.

This is unheard of in our village. Gossip fodder if ever there was some.

So I asked the PC what's going on. They're looking for a knife. Oooooooooooh must be a sharp one then? I asked.

I happened to have a sharp knife which I lent to my friend, in the car. I thought I must take it into the house in case the police see it in my car and think it is 'the weapon'.

So I carried the cleaver, and the shopping, into the house. But I was so nervous that I tripped over the door step, and just missed falling on the knife.

I don't think they saw me. At least they didn't come knocking on the door.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight.

What's YOUR MOST EMBARRASSING MOMENT? It's ok, you're with friends!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: embarrassing moment

I once tripped down an entire flight of stairs into the lobby of a crowded public library. It was the '80s and I was wearing a prairie skirt and high heeled pumps. My heel caught on the hem of my skirt just as I started down the stairs, which jerked my leg behind me (think of a girl's kissing pose). I was carrying an armload of books so I couldn't grab the handrail. In the split second I had to save myself, I pictured myself tumbling head-first down the entire flight. To avoid that gruesome fate, I pushed off the landing with my remaining foot and leaped from the top all the way to the bottom. (In the process, I ripped my skirt and threw all my books to the bottom, too.) I landed, like a cat, on all fours. I hit so hard I broke the heel of one shoe and slapped the floor with the bottom of my hands so loudly it startled everyone. It hurt like heck, not to mention I was mortified. No one in the lobby saw that I was about to fall. All they saw was that a woman in a skirt and pumps jumped off the top stair and landed at the bottom, crouched on all fours. You could have heard a pin drop. No one said a word, and no one offered to help. (I think they thought I was crazy. This particular inner-city library got a lot of transients.) I picked up my books and walked out to a sea of silent stares. The worst indignity? Since one heel was broke, I walked out like a lopsided toy. Once I got outside, I burst into tears, took off my shoes and threw them in the trash, and walked barefoot down a dirty city street.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I had a day that bad.
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My most embarrassing moment occurred when I was working at the prison. I was wearing a long "hippie style" skirt that came nearly to my ankles. The skirt had an elastic waist. While walking down two flights of stairs a new correctional officer walked too close behind me and accidentally stepped on the hem of my skirt. You gotta know what happened...I went down one more step, my skirt remained and the waist was pulled down past my bum to reveal bright a bright red thong. The officer's face turned as bright red as my undies, he apologized repeatedly, I reminded him that he was still on probation for his job and that it would be in poor taste to spread the incident around the facility. I never heard another word about the incident, but until the day I retired 5 years ago every time we saw each other that officer's face still went red.

I retired 5 years ago today!!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What I learned on M* today - long skirts are disasters waiting to happen.
    Amy

Jeremiah 29:11

http://pinterest.com/acct97531/quilts-to-make/

Daughter of Tobeysmama

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in junior high school, our grade had a chorus concert. We were standing on the bleachers singing to a full crowd in the auditorium. I was on the second riser and a big girl was right behind me. Well, she fainted, knocking several of us over. I stood up and screamed "Somebody fainted!"

Needless to say, the teasing and harassment went on for a long, long time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have had too many to report them all here but the last one was a couple of weeks ago when I didn't see a railroad tie separate the sidewalk from the parking lot and yeah......I kissed the pavement right in front of Steve who was too far away to try and catch me and it was on a busy corner of the street during rush hour traffic....the next week the ties were painted a bright yellow....gee.....wonder why?

7. Thanks yeeehawterri thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I too have had M A N Y embarrasing moments, but one of the ones that I will never forget was as a teenager. We had a youth camp, boys and girls [in separate dorms] ages 14-18 with parents and church youth leaders as chaparones. Lots of fun activities in a lovely wooded setting, for three days. Well, on day 1 my secret crush was actually very friendly to me, and as the day progressed and the dance that evening came along, we were together more and more. The evening ended, he walked me back to my dorm and up the steps. . . he leaned in to kiss my cheek, and I was flustered and leaned in to give him a hug. Well, I knocked us BOTH off the steps and into the mud [we were both wearing WHITE levis!] My perfect day was ruined, and he didn't talk to me for the rest of the camp!
    Miss Sheri

For me, it's all about Love, . . . Always!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well... Haven't thought if this for years.....m

As part of the my application to the Lay Pastoral Ministry Program (LAMP) at the Athenaeum of Ohio , I was required to take the Meyers/Briggs Personality Sorter.... The very long form.... Which took forever...

Anyway, after our "sorters" had been evaluated... I'm a strong INFP.... each applicant was then required to meet with a psychologist, Father Stan... To discuss the results.... So, I trekked over to see Fr. Stan, who I actually knew....

We sat and talked for about an hour.... I sat on a cloth covered chair.... Very comfortable, BTW.... The meeting went well, and I left feeling pretty good....

When I got into my car, I discovered that Mother Nature had come to call... In a big way.... I was mortified, and could never face Fr. Stan again.... I get embarrassed just thinking about that incident...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

embarrassing moment for me or at least one of them. Was when I was fabric manager at Rag Shop. It was a busy saturday we were having an early bird special and the lines were very long around the cutting table with 4 of us cutting. I always wore dresses then and my slip was really in need of new elastic at the waist. we were so busy I never noticed my slip had slipped to my ankles until my boss came out of the office to see what was going on and stood laughing at me. I looked down and my face turned beet red. we all had a good laugh.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is not my story, I just did this to make it easier to read. This was suggested in another thread, but I can't find the thread and I don't remember who started it. I just think it is a good idea!

I once tripped down an entire flight of stairs into the lobby of a crowded public library. It was the '80s and I was wearing a prairie skirt and high heeled pumps. My heel caught on the hem of my skirt just as I started down the stairs, which jerked my leg behind me (think of a girl's kissing pose). I was carrying an armload of books so I couldn't grab the handrail. In the split second I had to save myself, I pictured myself tumbling head-first down the entire flight.

To avoid that gruesome fate, I pushed off the landing with my remaining foot and leaped from the top all the way to the bottom. (In the process, I ripped my skirt and threw all my books to the bottom, too.) I landed, like a cat, on all fours. I hit so hard I broke the heel of one shoe and slapped the floor with the bottom of my hands so loudly it startled everyone.

It hurt like heck, not to mention I was mortified. No one in the lobby saw that I was about to fall. All they saw was that a woman in a skirt and pumps jumped off the top stair and landed at the bottom, crouched on all fours. You could have heard a pin drop. No one said a word, and no one offered to help. (I think they thought I was crazy.

This particular inner-city library got a lot of transients.) I picked up my books and walked out to a sea of silent stares. The worst indignity? Since one heel was broke, I walked out like a lopsided toy. Once I got outside, I burst into tears, took off my shoes and threw them in the trash, and walked barefoot down a dirty city street.

Yeah, it's been a long time since I had a day that bad.

Sorry I just had to do that!@ Joan debt of gratitude
    Last edited by bkthomas; October 1st, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
    ~Kathy~