Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrgh, life!

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Arrgh, life!

So I haven't been able to quilt for the past month and it is driving me batty.

I noticed that sitting for any length of time would send my back into spasms of pain, and as such quilting and piecing quickly went to the back burner of things to do.

Fast forward a few weeks and the pain isn't any better and in fact if I was to sit for too long my legs wouldn't support me when I would first stand up. A new and scary change, pain I can deal with, not this unknown weakness.

Got a spine doctor to order x-rays and an MRI and found out what had been causing me such pain for the past month.

Turns out I had a herniated Disk in my lumbar region of my spine. There was talk of trying cortisone, which has never worked on me before or surgery.

Talk about hard choices laid before, I'm only 26 I'm too young for this!

I decided to go ahead and have the surgery done as waiting to see if the cortisone would fail me again would only lead to another month of protracted pain.

Had the surgery of Friday evening and came home from the nightmare hospital on Saturday.

I'm nice and polite to everyone I meet, but I don't take to kindly to being ignored on reasonable requests by nurses at the hospital that could care less about you.

Being made to sit and wait in bed for over an hour to go to the bathroom is a bit much for me to handle, add in having to make 4 requests over an 1 and a half to get the sheets changed so your not sitting in urine soaked sheets is also more than I can handle.

I don't understand why they tell you to call for help then come in, turn off the request light and leave. The troubles began 45 minutes before the shift change, plenty of time to take care of what was wrong and brief the new shift.

To say I can't wait for the call to ask how my care at the hospital was is going to be interesting.

Well I'm home now and healing up from micro-disketomy on my lower back.

I'm hopeful to return to quilting next week sometime. I just needed to vent and let others know what I've been dealing with.

Having to smile and be nice when you hurt is one of the harder things to do in life.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Arrgh, life!

Hope you feel better soon.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, so sorry for your pain. You are much too young to have such problems. I hope the surgery works. And, I hope you respond honestly when asked how your stay at the hospital was.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Some nurses are wonderful and some just aren't. I am grateful that your experience there was not worse. I am praying you heal quickly and well and that you get to start sewing away soon.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think I would wait for the call. I would call and ask for a patient advocate. What you went through is inhumane. I hope you heal completely and quickly.
    GrammaNan

I came to the realization that chocolate comes from cocoa, cocoa comes from a plant-CHOCOLATE IS SALAD!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Grammanan. Kick up a fuss. What you endured is unconscionable. Wishing you a full recovery.
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I truly feel your pain, I have had both hips replaced - went to re-hab for the first one and came straight home after the second one.
    When they sent me the "how was your stay" crap from the re-hab, I told them and never heard back. I don't know why they bother if they are not going to follow up!
    Hope you feel better soon!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

that is just horrible I would so be sending in complaints on that facility...
    Hope you are healing though...((HUGS))
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I would have had plenty to say to the charge nurse before I ever left. That is just ridiculous. Hoping you have a speedy recovery. Sounds like it is going to be, if you will be back at the machine in a week.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you're going thru this. My DIL is about your age and has had similar problems- herniated discs and spondylosis. Not at all fun.
    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine