Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Does anyone know how to make this ?

I wonder if it has been paper pieced. I have done several patterns that used a very narrow contrasting border for a "stained glass" effect. I can see how the white sashing would be much the same.

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

As a retired school librarian, I always turn to a library for help with such things. I called my local library this morning and asked them if they could get the Nov.-Dec. 2011 McCall's Quilting magazine for me. The library that owned the magazine would not send the entire magazine. I told the librarian it was the quilt on the cover and that the pattern was Snow-Kissed Star. She had them fax the pattern to them and I picked it up. I'm sure your local library would be able to do the same for you. And for FREE!!

3. Thanks Juliadlf thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quilt in a day tv show just did something very similar.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I actually have that magazine. I knew I kept all of these magazines for a reason.
    I would be glad to share it with you. I'm new on this forum so please let me know how I can help.
    Laura

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Judy,

You may find it here and may be able to do a digital download. Digital Issues - McCall's Quilting November/December 2011 Digital Issue

Barbara
    Barbara

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by qcquilter View Post
    As a retired school librarian, I always turn to a library for help with such things. I called my local library this morning and asked them if they could get the Nov.-Dec. 2011 McCall's Quilting magazine for me. The library that owned the magazine would not send the entire magazine. I told the librarian it was the quilt on the cover and that the pattern was Snow-Kissed Star. She had them fax the pattern to them and I picked it up. I'm sure your local library would be able to do the same for you. And for FREE!!
    Great idea to ask the library when searching for a back issue.
    Julia

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I saw a free tutorial for this online the other day.

Ok here we go...we can agree that the points of the star are half square triangles...right?

Now...can we also agree that part of the body of the star is strip pieced...with maybe 1/2 inch finished strips.

One of stripped pieces are used to make a half square triangle with white (the outline color) let's say a finished 5" half square triangle with a stripped half and a white half.

Now...a smaller pieced square - Let's say 4" is seamed right sides together with the white side of the 5" square using sewing a seam where the white that will be left after sewing will be the width of the trim you want. Trim to 1/4" seam allowance and press the smaller pieced square to the right side.

What will result is a half square triangle where one half of the finished square is pieced and the other half of the finished square is the white trim and the smaller pieced square.

Maybe a more articulate quilter can say what I'm trying to say in a better way.

I'll go look for the tutorial and post a link.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link to make an outlined half square triangle:

DOUBLE FLIP HSTS TUTORIAL

This and a coupla strip sets should do it for ya!!