Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to the Forum

Hello everyone. My name is Sharon. I'm 36 and learned to sew growing up. I made my first quilt when I was about 13 and sewed a little on and off over the years. I have four children ages 9 to 14 and work a full time job as an office manager for a customer boat manufacturing company. My job is very demanding and stressful and I found I can lose myself in quilting projects. About three years ago I started making quilts for my kids and family members. The first year it was a very simple quilt for my oldest son. Then I decided to try to make two a year. Between sports, homework and family activities with four kids that's about all I can fit in and afford! But the more I quilt, the more I want to learn. Currently, I am making a Chevron quilt for my 11 year old. I watched the Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorial a few months ago and have gone back to the site a few times for tips and ideas.

I have so many questions about fabric quality, cutting techniques and creating new designs. I'm excited about reading through some of your post and learning new things!

My biggest question right now is if a cutting machine is worth the money and if there's a certain brand that produces less unusable fabric. I love scraps. In fact I always buy more fabric than I need just to have scraps for a rainy day. But, I don't want a bunch of tiny pieces that I need to store or just can't use.

I would love any advice or direction to a news thread that can answer this question...

Can't wait to get started!

Sharon

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New to the Forum

I'm sorry I have no advice but I'll be interested to read the responses. I've been eyeing those machines but have been afraid to make the investment.

Several years ago I got into scrapbooking and I wasted a lot of money on equipment I didn't used much and which I ultimately sold in a garage sale and/or gave away. I've been careful to resist that tendency in quilting. So far, I've invested in a good machine (Bernina 350), Olfa cutting pad/rotary cutter, and a good ruler. And that's been it. I don't even buy patterns because I'm cheap and I enjoy figuring things out myself.

Opps, I fibbed! I bought a binder maker. I never use it and it bugs me that I spent $10 on it -- so I'm being really careful about gadgets.
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Sharon and welcome to the forum. I'm new to quilting as well and don't have any of the cutting machines so I don't have any advice to offer on that.
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't use a fabric cutter, but I'm sure we have members who do and you will hear from them. Barb

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Ohio.
    I've seriously considered a cutting machine but have decided To spend money else where. I'm afraid of one because you are limited to the templets you buy and they are expensive. One would probably be nice if you do a lot of applique and want to buy different shapes. But just for cutting squares and triangles I don't think they are worth it. I did buy a "Shape Cut" by June Taylor ( you can find tutorials on Youtube or google it) I like it a lot...makes cutting a lot faster... and A LOT cheaper!
    WHEN THE STITCHES ARE PERFECT....THAT'S GOD'S WORK

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from NC!

I don't have a cutter either, it's not something I need or can afford! LOL I agree with Cindy that it might make sense if you wanted to buy lots of the different template to do applique shapes. I can't see buying it just to cut squares or triangles when those are easy and quick to do with a rotary cutter, with no waste.

Maybe if you have arthritis or something it might be helpful? But I guess you'd still have to crank the handle so I don't know how easy that would be either. Definitely read some reviews online before buying!

Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We don't seem to be any help at all do we?!! There was talk just the other day about this subject and I have been looking for it but can't find it so I am no help either,
    But honest,we are a very helpful bunch of fabric addicts....you will get some good advice soon.....it is the weekend, so hang in there!!!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have an accuquilt go and I like it for specialized things. for straight cuts ( strips, squares, triangles etc) I would recommend the June taylor shape cut rulers. There is one that is 18" and one that is 12". I have both, but use the 18" one the most. I don't really use the accuquilt enough to justify the cost, but I like it anyway. If you do anything with curved edges, I did a winding ways quilt, it is worth its weight in gold for cutting the curved shapes. Otherwise ----
    Dolores

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sharon and welcome from Ohio. I have looked at the cutting machine and like most I cannot justify the expense. I guess if you were to do a lot of quilting items for craft shows then it would be worth it. I love my scraps and keep every piece in a plastic storage bin. I have gone back several times to look for a special piece or let my granddaughters use them to sew something for their dolls.
    Grandma Laurie