Here is a quick question ladies about quilting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lilmouse
    Missouri Star
    • Feb 2011

Re: Here is a quick question ladies about quilting ???

I just know I am going to get it here...I love SITD.....if you can quilt slow it works pretty good......I also love the 1/4" method as well....the only thing I am afraid to try is FMQ! and I know I would probably eventually enjoy that too....but i still haven't even tried it yet and that is one of the reasons I purchased my latest machines a year ago.....some day!

Comment

• Mchelem
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2013

I don't mind sitd but it's not my favorite. It's difficult because I have to go really slow or I end up out of my ditch. I prefer FMQ because it's more forgiving.
      "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Comment

• countrywench
        Applique Angel
        • Nov 2012

Ive made the mistake of binding then quilting ..
        Quilting after binding , in my case , made the piece an absolute mess ! It was puckered and wonky at the binding edge because the fabric didnt have room to move .. It was only fit for a dog afterwards so im glad it wasnt a huge complicated quilt ..
        Awlays quilt before binding ! I learnt the hard way
        Its always nice to be important
        But its more important to be nice !
        :icon_wave:
        Tell someone you love them each and every day

Comment

• sewhappy1
          4 Patch Pro
          • Sep 2013

First how big are your blocks? It is a rule of thumb to leave no more then the palm of your hand not quilted. If you still have your batting bag it will tell you on the bag for that batting what the inches required are for quilting. This is something to look at when buying batting, especially if you want to be able to have a larger distance between your quilting. I would agree with you that your quilt is stable if you have quilted around all your blocks. If you feel comfortable binding it, then do it. It is your quilt. If you want to quilt a little more on it at a later date do it. Every thing is a learning experience. You will learn fast, if you are not afraid to try things . I always say every mistake is an opportunity to learn. No quilt police will come to your house. Happy sewing you go girl. good luck on your first quilt.

Comment

• judegreb
            Rotary Pro
            • Sep 2012

I agree that FMQ is easier than S.I.T.D. by a long shot but sometimes it really suits the pattern. Whoever told you that you have to stitch every seam is a sadist!

Comment

• coffeebreak
              Missouri Star
              • Jan 2012

I only knew about SITD all my previous years of quilting. Now., coming back into it about 2 years ago, I have learned about FMQ...free motion quilting. Now,you can't pay me to SITD! Okay, well, maybe you could pay me but it wouldn't be cheap! I do the meandering sttitch which is just no specific pattern, just wander around the quilt top making loops and curves and whatever. I do meandering about 1/2-1 inch apart depending on the density I want and how stiff the quilt to be, and I do stippeling, a much closer stitch 1/4-1/2 inch apart , if I want the quilt to be stiff and not fluffy. Meandering it great as you don't have to follow a pattern or draw lines..you basically can't make a mistake and NO STRAIGHT LINES!!!!! Yippy!!! It goes pretty fast, and with just a home machine, it is hard to do the top stitching on a large quilt, so meandering it perfect in that situation. Give it a try. I really enjoy doing it!
              Cheri

www.fabricandmemories.blogspot.com

Comment

• JCY
                Missouri Star
                • Jul 2013

Hobbs 80/20 batting recommends stitching no further apart than 4". I wouldn't rely on the quilt holding together very well when washed if quilting is 8-10" apart. You could probably get by if it's going to be a wall hanging, but... Read the recommendations for your batting. JCY

Comment

Working...
                X