Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: This is why I quilt

I started quilting in 2001. I do it because I want to pass traditions on to my children. I enjoy it so much now and get great joy when the monsters claim quilts before there finished even bought I make them their own. I'm the only person in all my family even extended that does any kind of craft.

2. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy...........that is one cute grin on her adorable face! The quilt is so pretty and you can tell that she is happy to have it. This made me smile.

Why do I quilt..........I really enjoy the creative side of putting together an idea for a quilt.........but the best part is the excitement of giving the gift and seeing the joy that it brings to the person receiving it. I got to experience that just a few weeks ago when I gave my aunt her quilt........a great memory for me and for her!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

4. Thanks KathyCrofoot, Bethy thanked for this post
    Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

What a lovely quilt and such a happy smiling face - she loves it !
    I started quilting after watching "our Jenny" she made me feel that I could give it a go.
    My OH bought me a new sewing machine and I bought some material to make my first practice piece, it was for a baby's cot and that was it I was hooked!
    I have now made quilts for my Granddaughter's which I will give them at Christmas. I wanted to give them something they could keep from me, I don't have anything passed down to me and I am quite sentimental so thought it would be a good idea.
    I enjoy researching for the pattern I will try and do and then looking for the materials.
    One thing I have noticed since taking up quilting is that my housework doesn't get done as often now! but I can combine my other love of baking, once the cake is in the oven I start to sew.

6. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

That picture is a keeper, for sure! Thanks for posting.
    Grace-Ann

What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

8. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Oh what a wonderful reason to quilt. I am doing the same thing... I have 22 great grand children and I am going to make each one a quilt. What great reward there is in it!!!!!! I am on about the 14th one and I love doing it. Your quilt was beautiful and so was the smiling face. KEEP ON QUILTING!!!!

10. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Haha, tooo cute! So worth it. I think the little girl on the right looks like she wants one too
    To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
    Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

12. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Kathy, the smiles that a quilt can bring to someone is definitely a good reason to quilt. That picture is heart-warming. The quilt is beautiful...love the purples. Love the one you made for your dad, too.
    Bec

14. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a pretty quilt! I really like your border...will have to try that next time I make that pattern.

Why do I quilt? Hmmm, I started quilting when I saw a quilt for raffle at the grocery store. It was a pink breast cancer rag quilt. I bought so many tickets for that quilt, I liked it so much. I worked with a lady that was quickly becoming a friend. I was telling her about the quilt and it was then that I learned that she was a quilter. She offered to show me how to make one and well, the rest is history! It has become such a fulfilling past time that I crave time in my sewing room to create something. I have gifted a few of my quilts and it is so touching to see (or hear since one friend is across the country) the reaction when I give someone a quilt. I love that they have a part of me to keep them warm and I hope they feel the love I have for them when they wrap themselves up in one of my quilts.
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

16. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KathyCrofoot View Post
    Bella's Beauties was finished and mailed in time to get this shot (from her Mom)

Attachment 56561

Just look at the smile on her face! One happy little girl. I just want to hug her up one side and down the other. Too bad she's 1000 miles away... Her Mom posted it on FaceBook and I had to go get it, but to me, this is what quilting is all about! I wrote Why do I Quilt on by Blog after I presented Dad with his quilt.

Why do you quilt?
    I started quilting when I was pregnant with my second child because I needed something to do when my daughter was in pre school. I just fell in love with quilting from that point on (37 years ago). I love to create and I enjoy learning new techniques and styles that have come out over the years. When I started out, we used templates we made ourselves and the process was a lot more tedious. The shortcuts we have now make quilting all that more enjoyable especially when you can turn out a masterpiece in a lot less time. I love the feel of quilts and like most of you, love the way others ooh and ahhh over my creations.

18. Thanks KathyCrofoot thanked for this post