Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Owls of the Opera

If you don't like hearing how much better it was in the good ol' days, then this post is for you. I began quilting when you could hardly find a piece of fabric that was 100% cotton, and when you did it was in a bright, hideous primary color or a charming gingham print. I had to cut templates out of Cheerios cardboard, then trace them onto the back of the fabric to cut the pieces out, one by one. Yes, I know you've heard this legend, but it's true. I must have really been addicted to quilting to do all of this.

After sewing my pieces together on my clunky Kenmore, I then had to hand baste it, usually with a few friends since it was backbreaking work, on your hands and knees, often sewing it to the carpet it was placed on.

Then I got out my trusty 14" hoop and began to hand quilt it. Now, people may tell you that hand quilting is soothing and relaxing, but for me this was not true. I like results and the quicker the better. It took forever to hand quilt something and I'm amazed that all of my quilts from back then aren't UFOs. Lots of them are. Many of the quilts are small because of that darn hand quilting.

Something happened then that really changed my quilting life. I got bursitis in my right shoulder. I needed physical therapy and cortisone shots, the works. My doc said it was from hand quilting, the motion of pulling that thick thread through the fabric over and over again daily for years had caught up with me. He said I could never quilt again. I remember the shock I felt when he said that. Never quilt again? It was like the bottom had dropped out of my world.

Last night we talked about what we would do if we didn't quilt. How would you feel if you were told you could no longer quilt?

This is getting long, so I'll finish my thoughts tomorrow night. I'll leave you with pictures of one of my very first quilts, made for 1 year old Bethany. The cross-hatching is quilted behind the bunny every 1/2". It is 30 years old and has not seen the light of day in decades. I feel great fondness towards it now and will definitely put it up come Easter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter Bunny from 1983.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	56098   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Easter Bunny Detail.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	56099  
    Last edited by cyndiofthevortex; September 18th, 2013 at 12:58 AM.
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Night Owls of the Opera

That is absolutely adorable! Now I am assuming you don't hand quilt anymore right? That Dr's advice was from a long time ago?

I would be devastated at first and then I would honestly not listen. Unless the doctor telling you this sews himself he has no idea the modifications that can be made to make it easier on your body. A physical and occupational therapist would be sent to my home to see me cut, press, piece, quilt, trim and bind and then tell me how to change what I do to make it better on my body. I would never give up until they figured out something!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Lisapc; September 18th, 2013 at 01:04 AM.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Cyndi.........you do know that 11:51 your time is too early for the night owls.........right!? I hope you get some sleep tonight.

My very first quilt........way back when I was still in high school was made from yucky double knit. I think I made my cardboard template from the back of a notebook.

If I were told I couldn't quilt............I would be very discouraged and sad but I would probably try to do it anyway.

Cute bunny quilt!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I almost made a disclaimer about posting so early but I didn't think anyone would bug me about it. I forgot that you might, Pam.

I have a thing tomorrow and I have got to sleep tonight, so even if I wake up I am NOT getting out of bed. So it was either an early post or none at all. And of course I have things to say so it ended up an early post!

I am hoping someone will also post an early quilt or two. I love to see them!
    Cyndi

“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” - Victor Hugo

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I am glad you posted early because I am going to bed myself. I wish you a great nights sleep Cyndi!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm checking in on the old computer, and boy, I love this keyboard so much more than the laptop!

I go for stretches without quilting, not that I like it, but other things take priority around here sometimes. I guess if I could figure out where the staff went I could pawn some of these chores off on them. So I guess I would adjust if I was told I couldn't quilt.

I'll probably be out for the next few days. My long stretch at the fair is coming up. Tomorrow is "pack the vehicles" day. I am staging everything for my absence for 48 hours and my poor hubby having to load and haul in the couple of goats by himself. Don't feel too sorry for him. It's only two small ones. It's not like he's hauling in all 20! We are giving this a test run to see if our daughter is really ready to start showing like the big kids.

You all have a good evening and I'll see you in the morning!
    Hugs, Cathy
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine View Post
    I'm checking in on the old computer, and boy, I love this keyboard so much more than the laptop!

I go for stretches without quilting, not that I like it, but other things take priority around here sometimes. I guess if I could figure out where the staff went I could pawn some of these chores off on them. So I guess I would adjust if I was told I couldn't quilt.

I'll probably be out for the next few days. My long stretch at the fair is coming up. Tomorrow is "pack the vehicles" day. I am staging everything for my absence for 48 hours and my poor hubby having to load and haul in the couple of goats by himself. Don't feel too sorry for him. It's only two small ones. It's not like he's hauling in all 20! We are giving this a test run to see if our daughter is really ready to start showing like the big kids.

You all have a good evening and I'll see you in the morning!
    Hugs, Cathy
    Good Luck at the fair Cathy!
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

NOT QUILT!!! I just don't want to think about it!!!!

Cyndi, that bunny is just precious! Did you have to stop for a while and if so, how long? Sorry to hear this!
    When I first started quilting, it was just baby size and they were tied. I have one still from back then (the 70's) or should I say DD has it. Anyway, I had this blue rose fabric and a solid royal blue for the back. I wanted to try one where there was no sewing at all, so I tied it and folded the back around to the front for the binding/border and tied it fairly close all the way around. Some of you may remember it....I have posted it before.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	067.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	56105Click image for larger version. 

Name:	066.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	56106
    ~Kathy~

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Love the bunny! I certainly remember those good ole days and tracing patterns onto the fabric. I also started with cardboard templates then switched over to plastic ones cut from the tops of containers.
    I love to hand quilt but it's usually on small wall hangings. Too late for me to take pictures of some of my old quilts but will try tomorrow.
    Going to see if I can get some sleep tonight been suffering a bout of diviticulitis since Friday night and it's been painful so sleep has been in bits and pieces. Night all!
    Last edited by Cathy F; September 18th, 2013 at 03:27 AM.
    Nobody is going to stand up at your funeral and say she had a really expensive sofa and great shoes Life is not about stuff.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/90704986@N07/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get interested in quilting until much later - the 90's and the rotary cutters were already invented. There wasn't near as mcuh fabric as thee is now, but there was still a lot compared to the 70's. I don't know what I would do if I could no longer quilt.
    Donna