Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default A Proud Aussie Remembers

As it is already the 11th here in Aus, I thought that I would post a small tribute to all of the fallen from this tragic day 12 years ago. Along with the United States and other countries, Australia lost some of our sons and daughters on that day. I was listening to the radio this morning to a young Aussie man who lost his mother who was on her retirement dream holiday. Unfortunately, she was on the flight that hit the pentagon. He was inspirational in his speech about the fact that although his Mum had a mobile phone with her she was not very good at using it. He believes that trying to use that phone would have been the last thing she would have done.....she would have been too busy trying to hold the hands of those around her and offer them comfort. Words just can not describe. This is only 1 small story - not even the tip of the iceberg to the horror of this day.
    My family has fortunate enough to visit Ground Zero twice. In 2009 at the temporary facility and then again last year when the museum was nearing completion. I am always moved deeply and it upsets me, but I feel that it is a necessity to pay my respects to each and every person involved, as well as their loved ones that they were taken from. If we are fortunate enough to get back there, then we will pay our respects again.
    Keep those you love close, look after each other, and be thankful for what we have.

On a more positive note: my DS turns 14 today. Happy Birthday Nathan !! You're the best!!
    Last edited by Nidan_07; September 10th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
    HUGS,
    Lenore

"I'm not crazy. My Mother had me tested." (Dr Sheldon Cooper)

2. Thanks queenofshebah thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: A Proud Aussie Remembers

You gave me goosebumps and chills up my spine. Twelve years ago, my husband was laid off from his job in July of that year. At the time, it was very upsetting. In hindsight, it was a blessing in disguise, because he had a job in the computer industry where he travelled a lot. We had been back to NYC before, me once with him, but he had been several times. He had been scheduled to be there September 11, in a building on the next block over.

I will never forget waking up that morning and turning on the TV as they showed the second plane hit the tower. I thought it was a movie, never the news!

Things changed that day for many of us. Not only were thousands lost that day, but since, in the war, thousands more. I had a son in law in the army that was normal before going over, but came back damaged mentally. After nearly killing our daughter and kidnapping our granddaughters, she finally saw there was nothing we or she could do to help him and they finally divorced. There are families suffering like this every night and every day. Nothing will ever, ever be the same.

Bless the USA.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

4. Thanks Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Spotsylvania, Virginia near Fredericksburg, Va
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it does affect so many. I have many friends who were first responders to the Pentagon. We will never forget! God bless all those that were sacrificed that day, and to the families. <3

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

6. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing your memories. I believe everyone in the free world remembers where they were on that day. "Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?" (Al Jackson). Just had to listen to it again.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

8. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    My friends call me Peggy

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

10. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lenore, I had a friend, Sandy Bradshaw on Flight 93. She was one of the flight attendants. She was a class act and such a fun person; very family oriented. She had two very small children. When I saw her name and photo on television I just couldn't believe it. She walks with angels and makes them all smile.
    So many lost so many that day. Everyone has their own personal story. Even if it is just the fact that happened. I will never forget. And yes, Peggy - I love that song. Thank you for posting it. I had it on my blog for one anniversary.
    God bless us, everyone.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

12. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Blondie. As you said, God bless us, everyone.
    My friends call me Peggy

14. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My mother decided at the last moment not to attend a business meeting and stay back to get some work done while her colleagues went ahead. They were on the flight into the first tower. My cousin's husband was in the pentagon and although injured he survived. I was driving to a patients house when I heard it on the radio and then heard as the second tower was hit. I still regret not marching into my daughters school to bring her home. For weeks and weeks there was an unsettling silence to the skies. No one will ever forget, we may all have a different perspective on that day but we won't forget.
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

16. Thanks queenofshebah, Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lisapc View Post
    My mother decided at the last moment not to attend a business meeting and stay back to get some work done while her colleagues went ahead. They were on the flight into the first tower. My cousin's husband was in the pentagon and although injured he survived. I was driving to a patients house when I heard it on the radio and then heard as the second tower was hit. I still regret not marching into my daughters school to bring her home. For weeks and weeks there was an unsettling silence to the skies. No one will ever forget, we may all have a different perspective on that day but we won't forget.
    I went to my daughters' school. They were on lockdown and wouldn't let anyone in or out. I drove in to DC to pick up a friend, because the bus and Metro also shut down. There was no one on the road. (I was living in the DC suburbs at the time.). I never want to be so afraid again. I pray we are all safe and sound. Love to you all.
    My friends call me Peggy

18. Thanks Nidan_07 thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

my youngest son lives in the DC area and his girlfriend works at the pentagon in the end that was hit by the plane. She was still in the army and didn't work there 12 years ago. My other ds was in the army and stationed in Augusta Ga at the time. I was a proud and very scared mom for a while. He was in intelligence and a morse interceptor. I was so afraid he would get orders to go somewhere dangerous, and so proud that he was able to do so if called upon. He stayed in Ga. It certainly changed the world as we knew it then.
    Dolores

20. Thanks Nidan_07 thanked for this post