Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas quilt

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Christmas quilt

What is a good pattern to use from the MSQ tut's utilizing Christmas pre-cut fabrics.
    Lisa

Keep calm and quilt!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Christmas quilt

I did my first double slice layer cake using a Christmas fabric. It is a good pattern to preserve the motifs in some of the larger print fabrics, as most of the pieces are not cut that small. I used the same print Jenny used in the tutorial, but that was two years ago, and I doubt you could still find that fabric. Check K.McEuen's profile in her user notes for a link to that video.

3. Thanks Lisa Favalora thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think Jenny's newest tutorial You've Got Mail would be beautiful -- the "envelopes" in a Christmas print would look like a quilt full of Christmas cards. I was thinking today's DD would be perfect for that quilt.
    Dawn
    A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

5. Thanks Lisa Favalora thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I like Jean's idea of a double slice, that is a fast and easy pattern and really showcases the fabrics.

I also think the new square in a square would also really showcase the fabrics - this one uses a charm cake, a jelly roll and a honey bun. You can cut your own jelly roll (from one fabric from the line in yardage) or use a solid color jelly roll if you want the "outer" block to be the same on all of the blocks. Make the Square in a Square Quilt Tutorial - YouTube

Basically, almost anything Jenny has done a tutorial on would look good in Christmas fabrics. Have fun deciding!
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

7. Thanks Lisa Favalora thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used a layer cake of Christmas fabric last year to make a disappearing four patch. I think that is the name, you make a four patch then cut it two inches from the center seam and rotate the small sections and sew it back together. Jenny has a video but she used a charm pack which would be cute but lots of really small pieces to match seams on. The layer cake worked out great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC04573.jpg 
Views:	542 
Size:	207.0 KB 
ID:	55341

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have planned to make a Christmas quilt this year and when I saw the 'You've Got Mail' tutorial I knew that was the perfect pattern for me.
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bdmsmith View Post
    I have planned to make a Christmas quilt this year and when I saw the 'You've Got Mail' tutorial I knew that was the perfect pattern for me.
    This is inspiring. I have a Home for the Holidays layer cake. I can't decide whethe to use cream or black for the background. I just came from Joann's and couldn't find a suitable red or green.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeggyM View Post
    This is inspiring. I have a Home for the Holidays layer cake. I can't decide whethe to use cream or black for the background. I just came from Joann's and couldn't find a suitable red or green.
    Are you talking about using the same "You've got mail" pattern with the Home for the Holidays layer cake? I looked it up on M* and I think I found the layer cake you were talking about. If I"m looking at the same one it appears there is about 5 blackish squares and 5 tan squares, so if you were going to do it you probably couldn't use the corresponding squares for the envelopes or it would blend too much. So if you went with a tan background then you wouldn't be able to use the tan squares and vice versa with the black. But what you could do was whichever color you didn't use in the envelopes, you could use them to create the piano key border.

I think tan or black would both be good colors to use for the background. I preferable to black because it seems to bring out the colors a lot, but that's just a personal preference.

This link here is to a local quilt shop to me that has some nice Christmas fabrics on sale, but unfortunately most are still $8+/yd. However, it may give you some ideas for what background you want to use and then you could search for a lower price on a different website. Christmas and Winter Fabrics - Erica's Craft & Sewing Center

If you were talking about using a different pattern then sorry for the confusing post.
    Teresa

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I plan on using my beautiful A Merry Little Christmas layer cake to make the You've Got Mail pattern. I think it will be perfect and look like Christmas cards arriving.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    I think Jenny's newest tutorial You've Got Mail would be beautiful -- the "envelopes" in a Christmas print would look like a quilt full of Christmas cards. I was thinking today's DD would be perfect for that quilt.
    I like this idea! Really like it.

I am making 2 Falling Charms quilts with the "Nancy's Favorite Holiday" Charm packs. I need to get cookin on them too!