Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finally something (small) to show...

HOLY COW!!! My. Mind. Is. Blown.

Dee & Karen - I can not believe you guys were able to do that from a picture!! Now I'm really sorry I didn't post that picture sooner. I took it when I first layed it out a couple of weeks ago but I forgot to take a pic after I sewed it this weekend. I'm seriously considering taking it apart and trying to match what you guys did. That looks sooo much better. I wasn't very fond of some of the fabric choices my friend recommended - and having it all out of order like that really wasn't helping the cause. It looks so much better with more of the pattern intact.

Also - my next project needs to be a removable design wall - because I'm too old and out of shape to be doing all this stuff on the floor. LOL

Believe me Peggy & Lisa - if I knew THEN what I know now, I never would have started with something like this. But - in my quilting teacher friend's defense - this was started at least 5 years ago, we were suppose to be able to work together until it was done and I honestly don't know if the pre-cuts were even around then - let alone all the rage like they are now. Life just got in the way and I ended up moving out of state before it got completed. I believe my finished squares are suppose to be 3.5" - yeah. I won't be going smaller than a charm pack anytime in the near future!! LOL

Thank you all for the lovely comments and encouragement!
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Both are very pretty. I love all the colors in them.
    Teresa

3. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vicki, Your table runner turned out wonderful! I love that fabric and I bought a layercake to make a small quilt. Your quilt blocks are gorgeous, just take your time to sew them together. I'm so glad you took the plunge into quilting!!

5. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

this quilt is fabulous... LOVE the colors and scrappy look... (but I am the non conformist of this place I think)..... you gals are the best always helping people....the group I sew with every Tuesday does just this for me,,, I stich and stich and cut and put all kinds of crazy stuff together... then put it up on the wall and my great gals pull it all together for me. or guide me.... that's what makes this hobby so wonderful... it's PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Each day well-lived and Happy;
    that's all there is to Life!"

7. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vicki! Just LOVE what you have done!!!!!!!! Good job, girlfriend.
    Blondie

Quote Originally Posted by VickiJ View Post
    So recently I posted about how I was driving myself insane trying to decide what to do with all this pretty fabric I got, both here at M* and locally...

Got great advice from some ladies here and I managed to complete my very first zig zag table runner using the Cream and Sugar charm pack!

Attachment 54501 Attachment 54502

I was hoping to get to some matching mug rugs and at least the first "slice" of the double-slice layer cake I also have planned completed but I realized I am not yet all that fast with the sewing. Definitely won't be winning any jelly roll races anytime soon. But that is ok, you can't really tell too much from the pictures but I'm pretty proud of most of my stiches. I think I did a pretty good job.

I also managed to sew together all 23 rows of the first piecing I ever started. The quilt that started it all - that's been in storage for over 3 years. The one with the 23 rows of 23 tiny squares that if I were teaching someone how to quilt I would NEVER start with a pattern like this but...live and learn. LOL

Attachment 54503

This was so hard for someone who never sewed before. Sewing it together now, after watching all Jenny's tutorials - I realize just how bad a job I did making my squares all equal size and sewing them into rows. Many of them don't line up like they are suppose to, there is definite puckering in the middle and for the life of me I can't figure out why the pattern looks so ...off. The numbered rows must have gotten out of order but I couldn't figure out how to get them back so I just sewed it together as is! My next step will be to figure out how to square it up. Then I will back it with a bed sheet or something equally cheap and practice FMQing on it.

I really did have a good time sewing Sunday afternoon. Hoping I can get something else going this weekend. There's a MIMI layer cake that is just itching to be double-sliced.

OK - I can tell by my preview that I am having a hard time attaching these pictures where I want them but it is 11:30 at night and this is starting to make me mad - so...I'll have to try and figure it out some other time. Good night.
    Sewing mends the soul.

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

9. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vicki.........great job on your projects! Love the table runner!
    "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
    Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

11. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I think your purple quilt is beautiful. I can't believe you made it as a first -- my lord, I would run away screaming never to return! Great job.
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Vicki, I think you did an amazing job with all those little teeny squares. I haven't tried the zig zag tablerunner yet. Love yours.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

14. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Viki, love your runner and cannot believe your first project was all those itty bitty squares! Mighty impressive

16. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

You hang in there, Vicki, it just gets easier and easier as you go along. I want to know why you cut up the charm squares into such tiny squares when Jenny used charms for her tutorial. Was it because you saw another quilt and patterned it after that? I think you did a good job, especially for a beginner. You learned to sew one right after the other and to match up seams. You want to learn to FMQ and that is a big start. Congratulations!! Piece and blessings, Vicki

18. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post