Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Finally something (small) to show...

So recently I posted about how I was driving myself insane trying to decide what to do with all this pretty fabric I got, both here at M* and locally...

Got great advice from some ladies here and I managed to complete my very first zig zag table runner using the Cream and Sugar charm pack!

Attachment 54501 Attachment 54502

I was hoping to get to some matching mug rugs and at least the first "slice" of the double-slice layer cake I also have planned completed but I realized I am not yet all that fast with the sewing. Definitely won't be winning any jelly roll races anytime soon. But that is ok, you can't really tell too much from the pictures but I'm pretty proud of most of my stiches. I think I did a pretty good job.

I also managed to sew together all 23 rows of the first piecing I ever started. The quilt that started it all - that's been in storage for over 3 years. The one with the 23 rows of 23 tiny squares that if I were teaching someone how to quilt I would NEVER start with a pattern like this but...live and learn. LOL

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first quilt piecing (600x800).jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	54503

This was so hard for someone who never sewed before. Sewing it together now, after watching all Jenny's tutorials - I realize just how bad a job I did making my squares all equal size and sewing them into rows. Many of them don't line up like they are suppose to, there is definite puckering in the middle and for the life of me I can't figure out why the pattern looks so ...off. The numbered rows must have gotten out of order but I couldn't figure out how to get them back so I just sewed it together as is! My next step will be to figure out how to square it up. Then I will back it with a bed sheet or something equally cheap and practice FMQing on it.

I really did have a good time sewing Sunday afternoon. Hoping I can get something else going this weekend. There's a MIMI layer cake that is just itching to be double-sliced.

OK - I can tell by my preview that I am having a hard time attaching these pictures where I want them but it is 11:30 at night and this is starting to make me mad - so...I'll have to try and figure it out some other time. Good night.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table runner 2 (800x600).jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	54504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table runner 1 (600x800).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	54505  
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program?

2. Thanks Blondie thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Finally something (small) to show...

Wonderful runner! Although your work on that is beautiful I think you might be a little crazy brave to do that as your first quilt.

Congratulations!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

4. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That's beautiful! More matching seams than I wantn to tackle.
    My friends call me Peggy
    The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

6. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I think you did an amazing job on both of them, especially for the first time... beautiful!

8. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

They look great!!!!!!
    Mary
    SW Missouri

Smile and the world smiles with you, frown and you frown alone.

10. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your runner turned out great.

Now, you may not be happy with it and the order of the blocks may have gotten messed up, but you really did a good job matching up those squares on your first project.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

12. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well if you switch around some of those rows on that quilt they do match up Like the bottom three, if you switch the one at the very bottom with the one two rows up and leave that second (middle) one in place, then they match up. And the top three match too, but they need to be switched too and the middle one needs to actually be flipped. So they do match, just not quite in the order you laid them out in for the picture I love puzzles, I wish I was there to help you put that one back together.

Your table runner is super cute! I still haven't made one of those, but will soon with a leftover Christmas charm pack I have from last year.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World

14. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Okay. I numbered the rows (as I could see them, number 5 might be 2 rows? but they are in order if it is) See if this looks more like the pattern. It's not perfect because it's not a straight on picture of the parts so the perspective is a little skewed, but I think the order is better, maybe.

Name:	order.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	54510

and yes, a couple rows aren't only moved, they are turned upside down. Just look at the numbers on the original and the one I did.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; August 28th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

16. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Karen, I've always thought you were good, but that is amazing.

And Dee, I remeber your CDO signature. You were able to put that CDO to good use, figuring out how the rows should go. I didn't even know where to start looking.

Vicki, your projects are great. Hard to believe you're new at this.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

18. Thanks VickiJ thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Okay. I numbered the rows (as I could see them, number 5 might be 2 rows? but they are in order if it is) See if this looks more like the pattern. It's not perfect because it's not a straight on picture of the parts so the perspective is a little skewed, but I think the order if better, maybe.

Name:	order.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	54510

and yes, a couple rows aren't only moved, they are turned upside down. Just look at the numbers on the original and the one I did.
    I tried to do that in paint and couldn't draw a straight line to save my soul so I gave up and tried to explain it as best I could lol You're VERY close! But (I think) rows 1, 2, and 3 go together that way, but when sewn together should be flipped so it meets up with 4 and that little white stripe goes across the opposite corner. Does that make sense? So then it would be 1, 2 (upside down), 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 5. I think. lol

Great job on the picture, you did a lot better than the poor attempt I made! lol

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    Karen, I've always thought you were good, but that is amazing.

And Dee, I remeber your CDO signature. You were able to put that CDO to good use, figuring out how the rows should go. I didn't even know where to start looking.

Vicki, your projects are great. Hard to believe you're new at this.
    My CDO would be in overdrive if I was putting it together myself lol It's a curse sometimes, it really is lol
    Last edited by Musical_Starling; August 28th, 2013 at 01:54 AM.
    *Dee*
    Believe
    There Is
    Good In The World