Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the UK

Fabric Fanatic

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hi from the UK

Hi my name is Lyn - Lyndlou as my family call me. My husband Andrew and I have a son and daughter both grown up.

Our daughter is about to give us our first grandchild (in about two weeks) the baby will also be the first grandchild in her husbands family too! So to celebrate the birth I thought it would be nice to make an heirloom quilt.

I looked on the net for inspiration and found the Missouri Quilt Co. and you are brilliant !! So here is my story......

I asked both sets of grandparents, the parents, uncle and there is also and aunty on the husbands side to give me some iconic clothes ( old worn ones ) to represent "them" within the quilt I have dubbed it bloodines.

Baby's mummy ( our daughter's ) favorite animal is the Giraffe ( she used to work at the Zoo and both mummy and daddy love Mclaren ( formula one driving cars ) They even had a silver and orange wedding theme two years ago.

So that is the theme behind the quilt and this is what I am going to do

I am going to use the ( double layer cake ) design adding four inserted panels - the panels will each have a giraffe applique design on and the double layer ( cake ) design around them, I will use orange or silver )( or both ) borders to section off the four panels and edge the quilt with two different thickness borders I will then back the quilt with a beautiful orange fleece ( I will obviously sandwich them with something soft too ) and I will ( attempt ) to machine quilt the top.

Baby will be completely surrounded by all the family when sleeping or using it as a play mat.

Hows that for a comfort blanket ! - I am sure I will be visiting the Missouri Quilt Co very often during this process for advice. I am not planning to rush it so I have no idea how old bump will be when I finally hand it over, but the point is that it is beautiful not completed just to give to bump at the birth !! xxx

Thank you for the inspiration - I can't wait to get going xx

Quilting Royalty

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Hi from the UK

Hi and welcome to the forum can't wait to see your design

3. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from Glasgow. You better get busy on that quilt. I have a 17 month old grandson, and only had time for cuddles. when he was a baby. Good luck sounds like a lot of sewing, looking forward to seeing the final quilt.
    Christine.

5. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome to the forum from Cornwall. This sounds like a fabulous idea. Good luck for stress free sewing.

Marion

7. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Spotsylvania, Virginia near Fredericksburg, Va
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello from Virginia. Nice to meet ya!

What a great idea for the quilt! I bet it will be fabulous!!

This is a great forum! Enjoy!

Have a wonderful day!

Friend me on Facebook under Kelly Howell Faulconer

9. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A big welcome from NW Missouri - looking forward to following your quilting venture. Be sure to share that baby's arrival, too.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

11. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome from Connecticut

13. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and welcome from Indiana. That's a great idea for the baby quilt and I'm sure it will be a treasured item for years to come.
    Teresa

15. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Your plan sounds wonderful! I found Missouri Star while looking for ideas for a baby quilt for my first grandchild. At the time we didn't know if it was a boy or girl. But, let's just say, little Evan will has lots of quilts in his future! I really have to get busy and finish one for his first little cousin, also a boy (not my grandchild - on the other side of the family, he was a first on both sides, too). He isn't due until Christmas, but the shower is only two weeks away.

Welcome to the forum!

17. Thanks lyndlou thanked for this post
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Your quilt sounds like it will be a wonderful treasure. When I first started sewing clothes for my daughter....28 years ago, I saved fabric from everything I made her. School outfits, Halloween costumes, everything. I cut the remnants into 5 inch squares, put them into a container and on a shelf. I have now started to sew that quilt with all those "squares" and there are a ton of them. I can still remember every outfit I made when looking at those little squares. It brings back a lot of memories when she was growing up.

Have the best times with that new grandbaby!