Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scraps or Trash

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Scraps or Trash

How big does a left over piece of fabric have to be before it becomes a scrap? I don't know what is a useful size to keep. At the moment I'm throwing away anything that's smaller than about a fat quarter size but I think maybe I should keep some other bits, particularly left over border strips.
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Scraps or Trash

Holy cow! You are kidding! Anything less than a fat quarter?!?!?!?! I have a bin that holds the cut off corners and bits of things that may be 2" long! There are many other blocks you can make with small bits that work as high-light fabrics. I'll post a few links once I go back and dig them up and get permission. This is a quilt that I made of corners I cut off blocks from another wedding gift quilt. As I was stacking them up, I couldn't bear to throw them away. I also save the leftover pieces from making my daughter's clothes. I spent good money for that fabric and I intend to use as much of it as I can. I know there are people who "crumb quilt", and use up any piece that is sewable. That is a bit beyond me, but I have even started saving my selvedges, either to give away or to do some whacky project when I finally have enough to do something fun and have the time.
    [attachment=0:1zrmezfj]IMG_5156.JPG[/attachment:1zrmezfj]
    I have this sewn together and the setting triangles done. I still have to add a border and a backing, then decide how to quilt it. Now that I see this, I would have kicked myself for throwing away this much fabric. Especially since they were already cut down, and I just had to sew them together! I did learn a valuable lesson here. I need to pay more attention to lopping off the excess corners if I want to use them again someplace else! Squared up pieces sew together so much easier!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scraps or Trash

Excuse me while I cry for the loss of fabric.......

**excessive sobbing**

okay...now that I have that out of my system....KEEP YOUR SCRAPS!!!! the only things I throw away are so small that they can never be used for anything but stuffing.
    Michele

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

still on the fence.....i HATE waste....but I HATE clutter more. Heck, as long as it's organized who cares!! I do have issues though, buying and not using it.....because I am sure i can't 'do it justice'. Ha, know what I mean!?!?!

It's a preference thing for sure....

Oh, I don't know....KEEP IT ALL! ops: Can you tell I am a recovering (trying to recover) fabric addict? (heck, fabric, craft, scrap booking)

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Aha you've come across the problem - pokey English houses don't have much space to store fabric scraps and the way I'm going it's going to build up quite quickly. I like the idea of a scrap bin though. I think we have one free storage box, maybe I can throw them all in there!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

You'll all be happy to hear that I cut out the borders and binding for the quilt I'm just finishing and the strips to make up my next project and I have kept every little last scrap left over (except the selvedges - I just can't see myself ever using those).

My mum is going to hate me when I start to quickly fill up the place with scraps but I'm sure I'll start to use them up as fast as I collect them.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You said that you might have a bin that you could put scraps in. Once the bin fills up, then you HAVE to make a project to empty it! That is simple enough right? If I had only started that way....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by toggpine
    You said that you might have a bin that you could put scraps in. Once the bin fills up, then you HAVE to make a project to empty it! That is simple enough right? If I had only started that way....

That is a perfect idea!! I use a gallon Ziplock bag....once it got full I started cutting hexagons and doing english paper piecing with them. The hexies take up a lot less space than the scraps and I will use them to make a memory quilt of sorts...from leftovers of all the other projects I've made this year....
    Michele

Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sewhot
    still on the fence.....i HATE waste....but I HATE clutter more. Heck, as long as it's organized who cares!! I do have issues though, buying and not using it.....because I am sure i can't 'do it justice'. Ha, know what I mean!?!?!
    Yes I totally know what you mean... I have a Fig and Plum layer cake that I'm so nervous about using because if I mess it up, that's it, it's gone FOREVER! I LOVE Fig and Plum so maybe after a make a few dozen 'perfect' quilts I'll attempt my fig and plum quilt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Rosie,
    It is all well and good that you want to hang onto your fig & plum fabric. Just remember to find some yardage to go with it now and stick it in with the layer cake. I have had that problem with some of the fabric I have "saved", the colors change over the years and matching them can get quite difficult, unless you go with white, beige, black, or something plain. I just though I would pass that little tidbit on to you.