Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scraps or Trash

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Scraps or Trash

I was told many different sizes of scraps that are saved by people. The smallest I heard of is 1.5 by 1.5 inch squares. They would still make an inch finished. I have saved some strips even smaller then an inch wide already. I use them as "ties" or "ribbons" on rustic looking craft products.

Really it is a personal preference. Seriously though, you make me want to cry :cry: over what you threw out! :shock: I would never throw out a piece that large! My family reuses and recycles everything. If we can't reuse something, we try to find someone else that will. We even save our empty egg cartons and give them to a family that farms chicken. They reuse them and it saves them from buying them. Paper is used on both sides (shopping lists, phone messages, kid's art, etc....) before it is thrown away too. The more money I save on paper, the more money I have for fabric, sweet, beautiful fabric. If you seriously do not have room for scraps, then donate them. Our thrift stores always have what they label as remnant bags for sale.

I like to keep my scraps all together, but sorted by color. It makes it easier on me later. When I get too many of one color, I plan a quilt top that uses alot of that color. I never seem to have too many blues or pinks. These get turned into baby quilts almost right away. I do tend to let the other colors pile up a little too much. ops:
    My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Here is Washington State, USA, we use everything including the selvages. There is a book on quilting with selvages, and this website has a tutorial on using them. http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/20 ... utorial/It makes me cry (sob) that you threw away your precious fabric. Here in the states we actually sell fat quarters, for money, no kidding! tee hee. Seriously though, look for a book on sewing with fat quarters. Karen Snyder has a good on called' Fat Quarter Fun'. Some fast and fun quilts in there. Wishing you many happy quilts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Just remember to find some yardage to go with it now and stick it in with the layer cake.
    What a great suggestion. I'm learning tons from all you gals.
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what I did with what some would throw away. These are 'waste triangles' from another quilt I'm working on. I couldn't bear to throw all those little 1/2 square triangles away when I saw how they were piling up so I sewed them together. This one is 11 inches square - I've got a bunch more of them accumulating and want to make a larger one for my doll I've had for nearly 50 years.

4 Patch Pro

Post Thanks / Like

snakes alive I have three 18 gallon totes with just that scraps from everything I can't bear to throw them away.. Wendi

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I felt so guilty about my immense fabric wastage that I started a scrap bag. You'll be pleased to here that every little scrap has gone into it (and some have come out to be used for appliqué). And here's some proof...

[attachment=0:nf9gpfcr]scrapbag.jpg[/attachment:nf9gpfcr]
    Quilting through the dull times
    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you!!! Such pretty colors all blended together like that.

There is enough fabric there to make Dresden plates!! I've gotten into the habit of cutting the Dresden blades while working on other projects. If my scraps are big enough for a blade, I'll go ahead and cut it and put it into the plastic storage box just for the blades. Eventually, I'll have all I need to make a scrap Dresden plate quilt!
    ~Mary
    As ye sew, so shall ye rip.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I love that idea MrsWindy!! A whole scrappy dresden quilt! Oh my stars, that would be awesome!!

Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

So... I've been quiltling for 10 years now and originally started with a scrap bag, it quickly grew to a larger bag and then became an overwhelming large storage container with the snap top lid. Everytime I wanted to use anything outta my scrap container, I would have to rifle and sift through it. Sometimes dumping the whole thing out on the floor and rumaging through it. About 3 years ago I read this great article on what to do with scraps from American Patchwork & Quilting. After each project I take my left over fabric and do a few things.
    1. I sort out any fabric that is large enough to leave it as is. Meaning anything that is a fat quater or larger.
    2. Anything smaller than a fat quarter gets cut down to other things that will be useful. I created 4 bins with sizes I'll actually use. You can hang on to everything, but unless you have a system I think you'll get overwhelmed (at least I know I will). So I cut down in to 2.5" strips, 1.5" strips, 5" charm squares or 3" squares. (because for me these are useable sizes and there are TONS of great patterns for jelly rolls/honeybuns/charmsquares...etc.)
    These make great bins that are sorted and are useable. If you continually cut down your scraps after you have completed a project you'll never have lingering pieces hanging around.
    3. Any scrap, scraps (like tiny pieces) we save together and give to a friend who uses them as stuffing for dog & cat beds that she makes for the local SPCA. Then all our scraps get used up!

I hope that helps,
    It has totally helped keep my life and my quilt room cleaned up!
    -MommySonge

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

OK, Yikes! You are definately throwing away a lot of very useful fabric! I keep anything that is 2x2 or larger. If you paper-piece, you'll often want a small scrap of fabric to work with and I love to scrap quilt! The best site for pattens to use up your excess is Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.