Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

I hear you Sandy. I hesitate to recommend leather thimbles simply because they take so long to break in and form to your finger that its a long while before you can tell you actually like it. I had one years ago that looked promising but it was pinched by someone in a class. I have a leather Clover one still in its pack downstairs I'd clean forgotten about, might dig it out!!

Best thing about leather thimbles? If some sod pinches it it will never fit them right - haha to fore mentioned thief!! :-)))

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

I have used a lot of metal thimbles over the years and my favorite is the Roxanne thimble that is open for long nails. It fits snugly and doesn't turn on your finger. Some of the cheaper thimbles felt like bells.......tight at the top but big at the bottom. Keep in mind that I have the silver thimble and it is heavier than most. If I'm not mistaken Roxanne makes a lighter weight one also. Good luck!

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a great deal of trouble with thimbles since I'm not used to using them. The one that works best for me are the leather ones but after using them for a while the needle will pierce the leather and dang that hurts!!! Sandy, I covet your leather thimble. It looks ideal! Maybe you should market it. Here's one I've been considering. Back to Thimbles and? uh?. Finger Gloves ? Needle?nThread.com
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used a Roxanne thimble when I hand quilted. They come in different sizes like rings. I found it to be a little heavy for my liking. I think I have every thimble ever made...lol! I currently use a generic plastic thimble from JoAnn that costs less than $1. They are usually kept in baskets in the notions department. I have small fingers so when I get it home I drop it in some boiling water for a few seconds and then carefully slip it on my finger and mold it a little to get a better fit. This thimble is open on the top in case you have longer fingernails.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thimbles.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	172.3 KB 
ID:	76410

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thimbles2.jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	76412

I can't locate my Roxanne thimble right now. I may have left it with a project somewhere.
    Last edited by Bubby; May 20th, 2014 at 07:32 AM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've been using the Clover open sided thimble. I like that my entire finger isn't enclosed is metal.

Open Sided Thimbles*| Clover Needlecraft, Inc.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love love love my thimble from the Thimblelady!!! It makes quilting so much easier--smaller stitches and I can quilt longer. It is designed so well, with holes around the thimble that actually skeep your needle where it's supposed to be, not like those awful cheap and I'll fitting ones from Joanne' s.Before I discovered T.L. I too used one's from clover w/ coin metal insert (it falls out), leather ones--pretty comfortable but they don't last long, the leather gets pricked so much it doesn't take long before it starts developing holes. The thimble lady also has awesome customer service. I had ordered 2 diff sizes, one for middle, one for index finger. I find I quilt best with index. Well my daughter wanted to borrow my good one.So I emailed them a year after I bought it and they said send it back and we'll exchange it for you, and they did! So now my DD has one too and doesn't need to borrow mine. It is a great investment if you do a lot of hand quilting. I only quilt by hand and it is my most favorite quilting "tool."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just read over prev posts here. I have both the sterling silver and cone thimble from Thimblelady. Actually I prefer the cone style as it seems the holes in it are deeper and really hold the needle well. The needle slips a bit in the other style. I found it is a bit heavier than thimble from Joann but that is because it is made of stainless steel, but I do not find it uncomfortable at all. The top is open, allowing your finger to breathe and not get all sweaty. I have not tried the Roxanne bc I am so happy with the TL, but it looks like it would be fine. I think it is cheaper than the TL.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried many different thimbles and I can't get one that fits or else it's just I can't get comfortable with one. I wish I could find one I like because my fingers get very sore when doing bindings.
    Shirley