Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Machine Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

Hello out there fellow Quilters! I am in the market for a truly nice thimble. I have tried ALL of the thimbles available from my local quilt shops and Joanns. They all are not really completely successful. I want a thimble that can Sew, as in regular sewing and also Quilting. I do English Paper Piecing, and want to learn to do Hand quilting. I have been gathering supplies and have noticed that ALL of my thimbles are temporary solutions. I have decided on either the Roxanne Thimble or the "old version" Thimblelady thimble- (not her cone shaped one) as seen on Simply Quilts. But I am nervous about spending so much on a thimble I may not be happy with... Does any Wonderful person out there have both or either Thimble? Which would you recommend? Any pictures would also be nice. Thank you in advance for any help.
    Sincerely, zxylady- Krystal.

P.s. I am adding the websites for these 2 thimbles.

http:// http://www.thimblelady.com/s...r-new-version/

http:// http://www.colonialneedle.co...e_list_roxanne

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

The links won't open for me. One of my shops the owner has a beautiful collection on her wall. It's like one of those spoon racks you see from peoples travels. Expensive though!

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thimblelady vs. Roxanne Thimbles! Does anyone out there recommend one over the other?

I've tried all sorts of thimbles but always go back to my old fashioned silver metal thimble. Good luck finding what works for you!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Back when I had time to hand quilt I bought a Thimblelady thimble and it was wonderful. I got it as a show special at a Quilt show where she was demonstrating. It definitely helped me make smaller stitches.

However in saying that, I would advise waiting til you've got the rhythm and feel of hand quilting before spending so much as your tastes could change. You may even discover one you already have is great after all.

In the meantime the other thimbles I would HIGHLY recommend are the Clover open sided thimbles. They come in sml med and org and are my 'go to' thimbles for all handwork. They'll even accommodate my long nails, many don't.

And when you find a great thimble, go back and buy a spare....they have an annoying habit of hiding!!!

Also, make yourself a thimble bag out of brightly coloured fabric, easier to find

Cheers, Pami

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Lrg (large), not org!!! Lol

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The very, very best thimble I EVER had was one that my MIL found me many, many years ago - and I have no idea where she bought it. It is LEATHER and fits my index finger so perfectly - there's a pad inside so the needles don't pierce - and although I have used it for years, I still grab it when I'm doing bindings and hand applique work. It is wonderful . . . I'll have to take a picture. I've never seen one like it in any stores -
    This is close, but not quite it:
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried metal, leather, plastic, you name it; I just cannot use a thimble for hand quilting. They all just seem to get in my way. I would love to find one that works as it would save my fingers for sure.
    Linda
    "Home is where they love you"

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Using a thimble makes my finger feel like it is hurt, and I favor it, and then my sewing is thrown out of rhythm. I do like the little silicon dots, called Poke-A-Dots by Jillily Studio. Works great for me.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use the cheapie thimbles from JoAnn's and they work fine for me.....and I have to use a small as my fingers aren't very big!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the cheap metal thimbles... The ones with a ridge in top, for controlling the needle. I hand quilt, and sometimes hand piece. I've never had any problems with my metal thimbles.

One thing I like about them is that if I lose or misplace one, it isn't a big deal. Long a fifty-dollar Roxanne Thimbke would definitely be a big deal...

Sandy from Cincinnati

AKA Kermit