• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TinyDove
    4 Patch Pro
    • Jun 2013

? on border/binding fabric for Falling in Love (Falling Charms Quilt

Hello,
    It states on pattern directions...2 3/4 yards of the blue fabric for borders and binding.

What I would like to know is, when Jenny or whomever made the quilt, did they cut borders on the lengthwise or crosswise grain of the fabric?

Is 2 3/4 yards enough for cutting borders on lengthwise grain or is it based on cutting on the crosswise grain of fabric? (Does not state on pattern)

Just want to make sure if I have 3 yards it is enough to cut all 4 borders on the lengthwise grain and still have enough for the binding as well.

Thanks
  • teasipper
    Binding Belle
    • Aug 2012

Re: ? on border/binding fabric for Falling in Love (Falling Charms Quilt

I'm the last person to tell a quilter how to do anything. But, I can tell you that I prefer to cut borders on the lengthwise grain, but have also done borders on the crosswise grain when I haven't had enough length of fabric. As advised somewhere on this forum, I joined the border pieces the same as when joining binding pieces (45 degree angle). I found that as long as I was careful not to stretch the fabric it didn't make all that much difference once it was quilted.

Comment

• K. McEuen
      Super Moderator
      Missouri Star
      • Jan 2011

I would think that with 3 yards you would have plenty of fabric for borders and binding either way you decided to cut them.
      K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
      Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
      T - is it TRUE?
      H - is it HELPFUL?
      I - is it INSPIRING?
      N - is it NECESSARY?
      K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Lisapc
        Missouri Star
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
        I would think that with 3 yards you would have plenty of fabric for borders and binding either way you decided to cut them.
        I bought 3 yards to do just borders on my falling charms. I used a jelly roll with solid squares and have wondered if I got enough. Thank you for the question and answer.
        Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

• TinyDove
          4 Patch Pro
          • Jun 2013

Thank you all.

I just spoke with MSQC and was told the borders on the Falling Charms quilt in Jenny's tutorial were cut selvage to selvage, so that means they were cut on the crosswise grain of the fabric.

I get so mixed up with all the info out in the www, everyone says something different. It makes it hard for a novice quilter to know the right way to do things...LOL.

Comment

• K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by TinyDove View Post
            Thank you all.

I just spoke with MSQC and was told the borders on the Falling Charms quilt in Jenny's tutorial were cut selvage to selvage, so that means they were cut on the crosswise grain of the fabric.

I get so mixed up with all the info out in the www, everyone says something different. It makes it hard for a novice quilter to know the right way to do things...LOL.
            Oh, you will always get a different answer on a lot of things to do with quilting because a lot of it is personal preference. I almost always cut my borders the width of fabric because seams in the borders don't bother me. There are others that will buy the extra yardage so that they can cut the length of fabric so they won't have seams. Find whatever is comfortable for you and run with it.
            K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• lilmouse
              Missouri Star
              • Feb 2011

Quilting is allot like computers...there is more than one way to do things....so true!

Comment

Working...
              X