Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Metal Tape Measure closure for a bag!

I've made these and love them. Instead of the prairie points I used leftover charm squares - I like a bigger point. I also used a coordinating big button on the points for interest. The cheapest place I've found for tape measures is at Walmart - yes on the lower shelves . They have all widths so a narrow one for the tiny bags (coin purse) and wider ones for the others. (I like cheap). I use duct tape to cover up the ends of the tape measure when I'm done with it and use a binder clip not a clothes pin. I go overboard binding up the sides and top of the tape that goes inside of the bag - maybe used painters tape since that's what's in my sewing area. I add wristlet straps and on the larger ones I have some color cordinating cording to make it a shoulder bag. These are so quick to make for craft fairs.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea!!! I better bookmark this for later or it will slowly be on page 218!!!! I use nippers on boning and it's fairly easy to round the corners, but in a trash can for sure - Gosh yes that stuff flings those little pieces everywhere!! Laughing at the blood - I think every quilt I've done has a tiny piece of blood, sweat and tears (oh isn't that an old group?)... I totally expect blood to be involved!

Great idea duct tape as it sticks really well and stretches. What about the black electrical tape? That feels semi-sturdy too? Or you can buy "ends" for steel boning, I bet that would it these ends too -- CUTE cute idea! Dang I have a life-time list of want to do, hope I can get to all these :-) Very cool idea for a Swap or Christmas present too - OR brides-maid gifts hmm ideas are flowing

Thanks everyone!
    Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea! It would be a bit of a pain to cut the tape measure (and maybe find one you don't mind cutting) but once it was made, so cool!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't read all the posts, but did someone mention Harbor Freight? My husband picked me up one when it was free if you buy something and with the coupon. Works great. Have fun but be careful.
    Went back and read all the posts. I take a pliers and bend the end of the tape measure down so it doesn't spring back into the casing. My sister and I tried to remove the casing and the retracting gizmo, but even with a hammer and pliers and some other tools we were unsuccessful. So we just use the bending method. Works really well. This bag also makes a great craft sale item.
    Last edited by Patty J; May 1st, 2015 at 08:46 PM.

Applique Angel

Post Thanks / Like

What a great idea to use a tape measure. Here ( Japan ) they sell special metal strips like this for bags with 'hinges' on each end and you put a tiny pin through to hold the two ends together. Same idea. A few dollars each , but I've been seeing lots of bag hardware in the 100 yen ( one dollar) stores. Metal Measuring tape sounds like it would work and be chesper, though I worry about the sharp edge. May try though as could be a great xmas present for friends this year.