Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default My European friends, bring it on! The category is Farmer's cheese...

We have a Russian summer neighbor, that just tonight introduced me to farmer's cheese. It was a staple in his diet growing up.
    It's not ricotta, but the taste is similar. The consistency is kind of like small curd cottage cheese, but not quite. And it IS available to me, at my local market. WOOHOO!
    He shared a breakfast staple with us, as he was growing up. A little sugar, a little sour cream added. He floured and fried into patties. YUM! So simple and SO delicious!
    I'm looking for a recipe on the savory side. But I'd LOVE to hear of any recipe you may have to share!
    I feel like I've been living under a rock somewhere....
    Last edited by New York Sue; July 29th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My European friends, bring it on! The category is Farmer's cheese...

I remember doing the Scarsdale diet 30 plus years ago, and it called for Farmer's cheese. I was never able to find it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: My European friends, bring it on! The category is Farmer's cheese...

Wow, I remember my mom buying it when I was a kid in Texas. She used it mostly the same way as ricotta. I think the farmer's cheese was cheaper.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Farmer’s cheese is like a blank pallet. We use Farmer’s cheese to make filling for pierogi. Some use the cheese to make a sweet filling (say sugar and maybe raisins or blueberries, etc.), some make it savory (butter, sautéed onions, maybe leeks). Just have to experiment!!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by Sandy Navas; July 30th, 2013 at 10:18 AM.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."