Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Have to ask....what's a schnibble?

I saw the weekly giveaway thread and it says that the shop is sponsoring "A Year of Schnibbles"....

what is a schnibble....and why would you want a year of them?
    Michele

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have to ask....what's a schnibble?

If it eats, poops, needs to be groomed, asks for money &/or the car keys, or says Mom, Mommy, Momma, or any version there of, I don't want it. And certainly not a whole year full!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Have to ask....what's a schnibble?

It's a Schnibbles! They are patterns for small quilts about 33 by 33 inches designed by Carrie Nelson. If you are not familiar with her work I suggest you check her out. She has a number of full sized quilt patterns and many books out also. She's one of my favorite designers! Schnibbles is a German origin word meaning bits, tiny pieces, small scraps of cloth, and yes, a whole year of them is going to be fun indeed!
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Re: Have to ask....what's a schnibble?

ops: OK. Embarrassing childhood pastime coming out here. ops:

Oh my gosh! I didn't think that schnibble was a real word! I had a habit when I was younger to sit and cut paper into the smallest pieces I could cut it into. My grandmother always said that I was making schnibbles. It really makes sense to me now that I know that it is a German word. My grandmother was fluent in Pennsylvania Dutch, which is kinda a form of German.

Man, I miss grandma!!!! That is why I decided to teach myself how to quilt. She sewed for a living and she was GREAT!!!! I just wish she could have taught me before she moved up to sewing on that great machine in the sky. I love to admire the quilt that she made for me. I just wish it wasn't made in the 70's or 80's when polyester was so popular. Its not so soft, warm and cuddly, but I still LOVE it just because Gram made it!

My mom and my gram didn't really like the clean up after my little schnibble sessions, but schnibbling would keep me quiet and content for a long time. That they liked. (I was one of those bounce off the walls kind of kids. :twisted: ) You needed a vacuum to clean them up. I would cut them so small that you were not going to get them by hand.

Oh, all those days of sitting cutting schnibbles, watching grandma sewing, and listening to those wonderful stories that she would tell. I would jump back to that time if I could. Man, I really miss those days!
    My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.