Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Figuring out a pattern

I found it! Here is the 1930's quilt I will be making for my queen size bed. I now have a reason to stock up on 1930's fabrics!

The Quilt Index

It looks simple enough to make, but I have no idea of the pattern requirements. This one measures 69x81 which I think I'd need to increase just a bit. It looks like the strip sections are maybe 4" wide, and the large white squares maybe 8" wide?

Does anyone have any idea how I can break this down into fabric requirements?? Or if you know of a similar quilt with a pattern I can use, please share!!

Susan
    ---Susan---

"When life gives you scraps - make a quilt!"

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Figuring out a pattern

If you cut the white square 10" and the strips 5" you pretty much get the measurements of the quilt in the picture. Somehow I get a little bit longer quilt. Their quilt is 5 white by 6 white. With my 10" and 5" measurements and subtracting for seams, a 5 x 6 measures 68.5" x 90.25". I didn't add for the small white border. I sure would be interested in how they came up with a length of 81" if those are squares. You could just make the quilt 6 x 7 and it should be big enough for a queen size.

It would be hard to figure the fabric needed for the strips since they are scrappy.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Karen, that was quick! Thank you! I would use a jelly roll for the scrappy strips, and solids for the squares. It looks like I'd need 2 jelly rolls plus the solid fabric, plus the backing of course. Oooh I'm so excited! THANK YOU!
    ---Susan---

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Ha, 6 x 7 squares would be 42 white squares. Doesn't a layer cake have 42 squares?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Susan I can't help, but you are so funny on the websites you find. You should put these all in your user notes so we can find them again

Lorie

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Why yes Karen, yes they do
    Quote Originally Posted by K. McEuen View Post
    Ha, 6 x 7 squares would be 42 white squares. Doesn't a layer cake have 42 squares?
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got different measurements.....
    Your 10" squares would be 9.5" finished and your 5" strips would be 4.5" finished.

4.5+9.5+4.5+9.5+4.5+9.5+4.5+9.5+4.5+9.5+4.5=74.5 across
    Add another 9.5 and 4.5 and its 88.5 down

Am I figuring wrong????
    "You've never really learned to live until you've done something for someone for which they can never repay you." ~Ralph Hall

"Party like a BLOCK-STAR"

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken, this looks like an Eleanor Burns' quilt called Nana's Garden. It's in two parts. You might want to watch it since I'm sure she mentions dimensions when she's demonstrating how to make the quilt. Quilt in a Day Media Theater - #1510 Nana's Garden, Part 1 Just keeping scrolling until you get to the videos for that particular quilt (Nana's Garden). Enlarging it should be pretty easy. Just increase the borders or you could increase the block size by keeping it at even numbers. If you think 8" squares in the center of the block are too small go up to 10" squares. You can easily determine how much larger your quilt will be by simply multiplying 2 times the number of blocks in each direction.
    Last edited by rebeccas-sewing; July 2nd, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

OK first of all I have never seen Eleanor Burns before and she is AWESOME! I need to watch more of her videos but first I think I need another cup of coffee so I can keep up with her! lol Thank you Rebecca!

This should come together pretty easily with layer cakes and jelly rolls!

Hulamoon, my husband says I need to figure out how to get a job as a researcher because someone should pay me for all the time I spend on the computer Googling! haha

Thank you all!
    Susan
    ---Susan---

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like Karen and others have helped out you and you have an idea as to how to make it. I'm curious about the site though. I have a quilt made by my great-grandmother, I wonder if I can send pictures and a description to the site...will have to look more closely at the site.
    Here are pictures of it...the baby is my granddaughter. I have the quilt in the quilt curio cabinet. Also in that cabinet is a picture of my gr-grandmother that made the quilt, the picture of Ana Mae and a couple of other memorable things that I want my granddaughter to have. I told my daughter not too long ago that if anything ever happens to me, I want Ana Mae to have that curio cabinet and everything in it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AnaMae in the quilt.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	50535   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quilt made by Myrtle Gamble Orman.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	195.0 KB 
ID:	50536   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quilt racks and old machine.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	171.6 KB 
ID:	50537  
    LIVE well, LAUGH often, LOVE much

Hugs, Pat