Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Quilting my first charm purse - need fast help!! newbie

Do I need to do more than stitch in the ditch on the charms for my purse? I'm using some light weight poly batting. I tried my first stippling on the sides and bottom. It's for my daughter - used Rockets and Robots (she's 23 he he). She is so excited to show it off at church tomorrow so I'm pulling an all nighter to get it done; tells you how slow I am - oofta! Anyway, I'll go back to work on the other parts and hope for some responses before midnight. Thanks so much to whoever is reading tonight.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Quilting my first charm purse - need fast help!! newbie

That should be plenty but read the directions on your batting. Usually it will tell you the minimum space between quilt lines so that there won't be a problem when washed. For example, I use warm and white/natural, and it says that I can quilt up to 8" apart so I would be fine stitching in the ditch with charms. I'm thinking your quilt lines will be about 4" apart so you should be ok. I don't use poly batting so I don't know the requirements. Let me see if I can find some online that will tell me and I'll be right back.

I just looked up Mountain Mist light poly batting and it says that it can be quilted UP to 5" apart, so if you keep your quilt lines 5" or less you will be fine. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Madeforyouinma11; July 6th, 2013 at 10:47 PM.

3. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

What is a charm purse?

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

It should be fine, but might be studier if you also quilted down the center of each charm row as well. Top to bottom on the purse down each row of charms. It will stand up better.
    Quilters never die, they just go batts.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I quilt closer together than the width of the charm about 1-1/4" apart. Good luck finishing it! Love the choice of fabric for the 23 year old!

7. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
    What is a charm purse?
    It's a purse made from 5" charm squares. Jenny did a tutorial on how to make them. I did a tutorial also, find the link in my user notes under my profile.

9. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your replies. I think I may try to do a flower in each square. If DD objects to flowers I may just leave it. I don't think she will ever wash it anyway. I added heavy wt pellon to the lining so it should be pretty sturdy. DD is a massage therapist so she is just using this to haul her sheets and a few supplies around.

OOPS - my all-nighter just ended!!!. My new Janome died - just like that. I think the bulb is broken but I don't know if that will stop the whole machine. Maybe the fuse or maybe it overheated. I don't sew fast but I've been on this project for 14 hours and that's just today. We started with a "little" charm purse idea on Wednesday and then....... she wanted a large bottom for her sheets - so my first attempt at a mitered bottom was an 8 inch one. .... So I found out that you have to add length as well as width for that miter... so I ripped out and added a 4 inch border piece to each side. ....Then it was too short so I added a top border as well. When I got the outside sewn up the final time it was too flopsy so I topstitched - kind of a corded stitch - to make the bottom and sides have some form. And I learned that putting fusable pellon on a 32 X 36" piece of lining takes a really long time at the iron.... I was just finishing putting in the inside pockets and ready to sew up the lining when the machine died..... And of course I was trying to figure out how to add a water bottle pocket to the outside side and one on the other side for her oil - "can they be waterproof?" Sure - I have some iron on vinyl. It was all fun - until the machine broke.
    Well - sorry to be so chatty. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will in the next few days. It really is cute- imho. .

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used a flat cotton batting and I just did a sid on my 3 charm purses. My quilter told me that for poly batting you need to tie or quilt every 4 inches, so I think you should be fine. She actually did a 7 inch stippling on a top earlier this year.