Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Question sewing machine table-cabinet options?

DH said it's time to put away the folding table that holds my sewing machine and buy a real table. As a new quilter I didn't want to spend $$ on a table until I was sure I'd be using it long-term. Now I've moved my sewing out of the dining room into our 3 season porch (its wonderful sewing in that room surrounded by trees and birds etc. ) We still use the room as a porch for breakfast and occasional company so it's time to have a nicer table than the white folding one from Sam's club. My space is about 64 inches long by 30 or so inches deep. (My cutting table and supplies are on another wall.) I want a sturdy table with maybe some drawers. You all know what's important in a sewing table better than I do. I have about $500.00. Any ideas??? Thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sewing machine table-cabinet options?

Here is one by Arrow in your price range.

Amazon.com: Arrow Cabinet 98500 Sewnatra Sewing Cabinet, Oak: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I'd like to get the Arrow cabinet called Bertha. It's about $750 though. I like the lifts in the cabinets. You can lower your machine and close everything up easily.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

3. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is your husband handy with tools??? Do you live near an Ikea? Do you frequent garage sales or have an old kitchen table you no longer use? If so, have him take his handy dandy saw, and after choosing where on the table you want your machine, have hime cut out the footprint of it and then make a shelf under that space for your machine to sit on so the top of the base (where the needle/bobbin work) is flush with the table top. That is what my sewing table is and it's wonderful! We used our old kitchen table for this, but we had bought it at Ikea and it was only $100 and measures 3x5 feet, I think. That way you have $$ for material or other storage units for your sewing room. I picked up a fantastic four drawer (has small mesh wire for the baskets) thing yesterday for $25 and put it together. It is right next to my table and the tops are the exact same height, so it gave me a little more area if needed.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

5. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you are able to get a good sewing table. Sounds like your new sewing room is real nice. Good luck on your search

Hugs Ann

7. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Arrow Bertha cabinet and it's pretty good. Putting it together was a nightmare. When quilting or sewing at high speeds it does vibrate a bit. I love the air lift though.

I'd call around some sewing dealers and ask them about their cabinets that they sell. Horn and Koala make some great cabinets and they might have small ones in your price range. It's worth it if they assemble it for you too.

If you don't mind putting your own cabinets together Arrow is a good alternative, just be prepared for some assembly.
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

9. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own idea on what their ideal quilting or sewing table is. Mine is a 20" x 4ft board on an old treadle base that hubby made up for me. He cut a hole in it with a shelf under it to hold my Janome. Board, stain and polyurethane coding for under $50. For drawers I went to Walmart and got some plastic drawers to put on each side of the table. Now, I have more money for fabric. I'm a happy camper or I should say quilter! Lol.

11. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is your husband handy with wood? For $500 you can do a lot if he is the builder. My husband built my desk/sewing/cutting/ironing/school teaching combo table and I use the plastic drawers that role for some of the storage. I put my cutting mat either on my ironing area or the teaching area when I need it. I also have a rotating mat that fits on a pull out that sits underneath the ironing area.

The best thing is when it is home made you get to design it and make it fit just what you need.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sewing table and Johnna's quilt blocks newest 003.jpg 
Views:	1080 
Size:	185.6 KB 
ID:	49988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sewing table and Johnna's quilt blocks newest 002.jpg 
Views:	603 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	49989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sewing table and Johnna's quilt blocks newest 001.jpg 
Views:	1655 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	49990  
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

13. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a sewezi table where my machine fits flush in it.
    SewEzi USA-Home
    I have a table set up behind and to the side. I love it and it works very well for me.

15. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are great. Thanks for the ideas! But please keep them coming. DH is decidedly not a handyman. He can do about as much as I can so we muddle through things together. He IS good at other things and generous with me - thus the $500.00 or a bit more I can spend on this already expensive habit. Katiesquilting corner - how bad is the vibration from the bertha? Does anyone have any other experience with other Arrows? Do they all shake when you sew? I don't sew very fast but I don't want it falling apart. How are the Ikea tables? - I have one 2 miles away. Some of their stuff is wobbly. Should I just look for a desk type table? Would they be too high for sewing? I'm short but I do have an adjustable chair. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your time.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I might be the wrong person to ask.
    I am sewing on a two shelf rolling IKEA cart. The top is 16" x 20" and it's 22" high. My serger is on a wooden TV tray about the same size & 2" taller. The IKEA cart is incredibly sturdy though.

I think you might be wise to check out some dealerships and "test drive" some cabinets & tables. Bring some scrap fabrics and see if they will let you work at them to see how they fit. You want one that is comfy for your back and that you won't whack your knees on when you turn around to use the iron.

Happy hunting!
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

18. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post