Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: sewing machine table-cabinet options?

Name:  0004266602068_P255045_180X180.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  4.7 KB
    Sauder Storage Sewing/Craft Cart
    This one is from Walmart and is $179. I have this one and it is a real good sewing center.
    Last edited by K. McEuen; June 25th, 2013 at 12:12 PM.

Hugs Ann

2. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Block Queen

Post Thanks / Like

I have an Arrow Sewnatra that I found on Craigslist. The airlift is great, the height is just right, and the price was good. I don't notice any vibration at all, however my floor is carpeted so that may have something to do with it.

I don't sew fast, but sometimes I'll crank it up and have not experienced any problems.

4. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
    You guys are great. Thanks for the ideas! But please keep them coming. DH is decidedly not a handyman. He can do about as much as I can so we muddle through things together. He IS good at other things and generous with me - thus the $500.00 or a bit more I can spend on this already expensive habit. Katiesquilting corner - how bad is the vibration from the bertha? Does anyone have any other experience with other Arrows? Do they all shake when you sew? I don't sew very fast but I don't want it falling apart. How are the Ikea tables? - I have one 2 miles away. Some of their stuff is wobbly. Should I just look for a desk type table? Would they be too high for sewing? I'm short but I do have an adjustable chair. Any thoughts? Thanks so much for your time.
    For the Arrow Bertha cabinet - Sewing at low/medium speeds there isn't any vibration or shake. It's only when you literally have the pedal all the way down that it shakes a bit. It's very sturdy and has locking casters so it won't roll around once you get it in place where you want it. I love that it folds completely up in case I need everything put away and out of sight.

I'm short too and my adjustable chair works just fine with the cabinet.

Last edited by KatiesQuiltingCorner; June 25th, 2013 at 09:53 AM.
    Katie's Quilting Corner
    Tutorials, projects, podcast and don't miss Free Pattern Friday!
    Follow me on: Facebook - Pinterest - Twitter - Flickr

6. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My Ikea table is very sturdy. It also has a bit of shaking going on when I lose my head and sew realllllly fast, so I try not to do that. I think anytime you have a heavy machine sitting on a suspended shelf, you would have to expect that.
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after looking over your suggestions and seeing your pictures and looking all over on Amazon and google, I realized that the only way to get what I want without paying for stuf I don't need is to make it myself. Since neither dh or I can do that and we have no tools, I remembered the carpenter who custom-ed my kitchen 3 years ago and called him. He is so agreeable and was so easy to work with and does a great job and this gives him some business. So I measured and sketched out exactly what I wanted and he's coming out next week to talk it over and tell me what will work. Then, since he's coming out anyway, I'm going to ask him to build a 36 inch high cutting table. I love cutting on my kitchen counter (on a mat) and that's how high that is. (Is that a good height generally?) Anyway DH is happy cause I'm happy - heck I'm estatic - so it's all good! Thanks for helping me figure this out, everyone!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Then, since he's coming out anyway, I'm going to ask him to build a 36 inch high cutting table. I love cutting on my kitchen counter (on a mat) and that's how high that is. (Is that a good height generally?) Anyway DH is happy cause I'm happy - heck I'm estatic - so it's all good! Thanks for helping me figure this out, everyone!
    Woohoo, I am happy for you, too.
    The height that is perfect for you depends on your own height. There are probably lots of things on the internet about ergonomic recommendations but what works for me is the table is about the height of my elbow at a 45% angle. You might consider having him put the cutting table on casters so you can move it around, depending on your space.
    I have a table that I love, it is about 55"Wx48"L and is covered so I can iron on the entire table. It is on casters and has a shelf below. I can put my big cutting mat on top and cut or hang it on the wall and use the table to either iron, lay out blocks or sandwich. I love it.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wood is expensive and so is the hardware and lift mechanism to make your own sewing center, but here's a pattern I found and would like my son to make. This one is for a Shaker style, but I'd change up the style a bit to make it more modern. I think with some adjustments it would serve my purpose. Just have to find out the cost of the wood in addition to mechanisms. Of course, I would not have labor charges.........just dinner and a thanks.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=7

11. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharyn J View Post
    Wood is expensive and so is the hardware and lift mechanism to make your own sewing center, but here's a pattern I found and would like my son to make. This one is for a Shaker style, but I'd change up the style a bit to make it more modern. I think with some adjustments it would serve my purpose. Just have to find out the cost of the wood in addition to mechanisms. Of course, I would not have labor charges.........just dinner and a thanks.
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=7
    This is just great Sharyn - quite like what I had designed myself but better. I noted from the ratings that the "needle" of the sewing machine needs to be centered on the "knee hole" - or further over to the right. Otherwise this is a great plan and it even has the "lift" which I was resigned to fore-going. Thanks so much!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I kinda laughed when I saw that design because I have the machine in the picture! That's an old Pfaff Creative 1471, bought it used and still going strong after 20+ years. The only thing I would add to that table is an extension table on the back for extra quilt support.

Having the needle of the machine right in front of you is great. I never understood why so many cabinets placed that position so far to the left.

I know you can buy the air lifts through Amazon as well. I think they are about $170.00
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

14. Thanks Lilly thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

This is just great Sharyn - quite like what I had designed myself but better. I noted from the ratings that the "needle" of the sewing machine needs to be centered on the "knee hole" - or further over to the right. Otherwise this is a great plan and it even has the "lift" which I was resigned to fore-going. Thanks so much!
    Yes, I caught that Lilly about having the needle of the machine centered. That makes sense. And Karen is right about adding the extension table. If you go back to the site, click on reviews and you'll see a picture of one that was built with the extension table. I believe they added it with a piano hinge.