• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yeeehawterri
    Missouri Star
    • Apr 2012

Re: Newbie looking for some help =-)

I love my brother! With that said, would LOVE to have my mom's old singer, don't know the model but believe its a late 50's model. I have my great aunts old singer... guessing a 40's model, but it needs some serious attention. I love the old machines. Would definitely get yours checked out. As Marilyn said, don't know if its plastic or not (I think we have the same machine) and it makes no difference to me as long as it does its thing right.

Comment

• Gayle Russell
      Designer Diva
      • Apr 2013

I have a Brother Quilting Special. I LOVE it! Have had it for two years. Would you believe I bought it at WalMart for $200? It has some fancy stitches, the free motion quilting foot, the walking foot, 1/4" seam foot and several others. The only problem I had with it was my fault. I never cleaned it in two years (shame face) and the feed dogs didn't work right. After cleaning it.....it sews like a champ!
      Have I mentioned that I LOVE my Brother?
      "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

Comment

• lilmouse
        Missouri Star
        • Feb 2011

If you want to know about the inside parts it is easy to tell, wrap your arm around the body of the machine and try to shake it...if it moves it is probably plastic.....don't purchase it....the stability is in the metal body and it won't move...!

Comment

• bubba
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2013

I have the Singer Quartet and love it. It's in a higher price range than your and is also a lot larger machine. I have had only one problem with it, which got problem solved over the phone.

I will now go :knock on wood:
          pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

sigpic

If you can't be nice.....BE QUIET!

Comment

• kensington
            Missouri Star
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by New York Sue View Post
            Okay, my turn to chime in, lol.
            What make and model is your grandmother's machine, and do you have the instruction book? I bought a reconditioned Janome and gained a couple of decorative stitches I don't use, a needle up and down feature that's nice (but, really?) and an automatic threader that currently doesn't work. Now the needle over position, that's another story. GOLDEN when making HSTs....
            But when it all comes down to it, I would have been fine with my Mom's Singer Featherweight. CIRCA 1942. They are absolute BULLS.
            Before you get into a big purchase, I would get out the manual and go through the threading directions. The wrong sized bobbin can cause havoc, as well. I've experienced that.
            Grandma's machine may just need a good cleaning and oiling. I really would take it to a reputable dealer before I kicked her to the curb. They REALLY, really, don't make these things like they use to!!
            Hey now missy... I LOVE that needle down, needle up thing... especially when I am in a hurry. LOL. I can thread more reliably than the threader though. Silly thing. It's hit and miss. But, all in all, I like my Janome. It's got to be 10 times quieter than my Singer was.

Comment

• Musical_Starling
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2012

Might as well throw in my two cents too lol I have the Singer Confidence Quilter 7469Q and LOVE it. Her name is Sally. You know, "Long Haired Sally, she's real sweet, she's got everything..." There are three reasons why I chose her and love her dearly, and I think you can use these same three criteria when choosing a new machine.

#1: Is it in your price range?
              #2: Does it have all (or most) of the features you want?
              #3: MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL How will it get serviced? If you have a local dealer who is also a repair person for that brand, then go with them! My LQS owner repairs all of his machines in house and sells Singer, Janome, and Pfaff. So needless to say that I will only purchase one of these three brands in the future because you can't beat service like that. He came highly recommended, and knock on wood every day that I haven't had to use his services just yet. But I have the peace of mind that when I do (even if it's just regular maintenance) that Sally stays right here in town and he does all of the work himself (and has for almost as long as I've been alive lol)

So regardless of brand or make or model, consider if it does what you need it to do, if you can afford it, and if you can have it serviced locally if something was to go wrong. If you're wondering about whether it's metal inside (all Singers are, as far as I know) Just grasp the top (head?) of the machine and down around the throat plate and shove them in opposite directions. If they shift then it's plastic. Also, check with your dealer to see if they have any used machines. Sometimes you can really get a great deal on demo models or trade-ins!

Good luck, and let us know if you decide to purchase a new "friend"!
              *Dee*
              Believe
              There Is
              Good In The World

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                Missouri Star
                • Apr 2012

I have a Brother SE400, which is the bottom-of-the-line embroidery/sewing combo. I think the frame is all plastic, and I understand that's less than desirable.

But that little Brother is an incredible workhorse. I have really put it through its paces, especially with embroidery. The machine is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going and going and going. If Brother does such a good job with their bottom-of-the-line machine, I feel like all their machines must be worthwhile.

As for Singer, I was seriously considering a Singer before I bought the Brother. I read a lot of reviews on Amazon, and those reviews seem to mirror the experience on this forum. Half the owners love their Singer, and half had them break down. I ended up feeling like Singer designs machines well, but probably has some manufacturing problems. It made me steer clear.

Good luck to you!
                Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Over40momma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Jun 2013

I inherited a Singer 6268 from my BIL when my sister passed. The original machine I ever touched was my Mom's Singer Featherweight which she used right up until she passed. This machine I have has a lot of plastic parts, etc. but I find that I am having no trouble with it at all. My sister used it often and I have now had it for approximately 10 years and am quite happy with it.
                  I, too, have been looking at all the marvelous machines available (anticipating the day I have to replace this one) and to be honest, I get thoroughly confused. So as I work with my current machine, I am making a list of features that I consider a 'must' based on how I actually use it and what work I do with it. Then, make sure you can get it looked after for those moments when it gets cranky...and for annual service. And that's my 2 cents on the subject.
                  Sandy B.
                  "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Comment

• turena65
                    Missouri Star
                    • Apr 2013

I thought I would give my 2 cents worth as well.... I have an affordable Janome. Bought it for $250, its a DC1050 model. Love it. It has start/stop feature, needle up/down (love), has about 42 decorative stitches, buttonhole feature, affordable feet, etc. I have used it for free motion quilting and all of my piecing. Never had a problem with it. You might be able to find other affordable machines in the brands you are looking for with a little bit of research. Good luck!

Comment

• Jewel31657
                      Shiny Thimble
                      • Jun 2013

Hi, Karen here.

I am also a newbie. I am making the fast and easy pinwheels. Should I be cutting off the pointy edges? It seems so bulky

Thanks, love this website!!!

Comment

• MartinaG
                        Missouri Star
                        • Oct 2012

Have you thought about getting the old machine cleaned and serviced? Sounds like she may be due for an overhaul and possibly give you many years of happy sewing. Now if you WANT a new machine, there's nothing wrong with that. I am a Baby Lock supporter and wouldn't trade my "Quilla" for all the tea in China.

I think it's important to identify which features are important and then go from there.
                        Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
                        Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Comment

• Iris Girl
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jan 2013

Welcome to the forum. Like some I wouldn't have a singer. I learned on a kenmore umpteen hundred years ago and have sewn on whites, riccars ,Brothers, singers, berninas , Pfaff and a few others , but my machine of choice is Pfaff. good luck with what you get.

if all else fails before taking to be fixed. try a new needle, a new spool of thread a newly wound bobbin and clean it out. Good Luck!!
                          sigpic:icon_hug: Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
                          Time spent with cats is never wasted.
                          Sigmund Freud

Comment

• DisneyGirl
                            Shiny Thimble
                            • Dec 2012

I'm pretty new here too but wanted to give the Brother 6000i two thumbs up. I've had mine for a year and a half and it's made dozens of bags, two large rag quilts, 4 baby quilts, bunch of cup coozies and tons of other stuff. It's a great machine that I haven't had any problems with at all.

Comment

• Judy, USMC
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2013

I was getting thread birdsnests - a lot. Cost me $5 to get the needle replaced and learn how to thread it. My mistake was putting the bobbin into the bobbin case incorrectly. The repairman showed me that when the bobbin is in its case, and I pull the long thread, the bobbin should rotate counterclockwise. This was for a 1950's Kenmore I inherited. No more problems after that.

Comment

Working...
                              X