Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Newbie looking for some help =-)

Okay, my turn to chime in, lol.
    What make and model is your grandmother's machine, and do you have the instruction book? I bought a reconditioned Janome and gained a couple of decorative stitches I don't use, a needle up and down feature that's nice (but, really?) and an automatic threader that currently doesn't work. Now the needle over position, that's another story. GOLDEN when making HSTs....
    But when it all comes down to it, I would have been fine with my Mom's Singer Featherweight. CIRCA 1942. They are absolute BULLS.
    Before you get into a big purchase, I would get out the manual and go through the threading directions. The wrong sized bobbin can cause havoc, as well. I've experienced that.
    Grandma's machine may just need a good cleaning and oiling. I really would take it to a reputable dealer before I kicked her to the curb. They REALLY, really, don't make these things like they use to!!
    I really need to get off the exclamation point.
    It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

2. Thanks dntnichols thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much for your input. I looked at a brother cs6000i and thought it was a good deal. But I could not find wether or not it had a metal frame or not. i have read that some makers are using all plastic and it can make the stitches crazy. We have a local dealer that services machines. Perhaps I will give them a go. We live in Seaford, DE and we dont have a lot of places to go for this kind of thing. There was one nod for brother, has anyone else had any kind of luck with them?

And thanks for the warm welcomes

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bought a new brother and love it. I have no idea about whether it is metal frame or not. I do know it can sew circles around the other 2 Singers. Brother makes a good machine. Same folks make Baby Locks. You don't need all those bells and whistles when just starting out either.
    Quote Originally Posted by dntnichols View Post
    Thank you all so much for your input. I looked at a brother cs6000i and thought it was a good deal. But I could not find wether or not it had a metal frame or not. i have read that some makers are using all plastic and it can make the stitches crazy. We have a local dealer that services machines. Perhaps I will give them a go. We live in Seaford, DE and we dont have a lot of places to go for this kind of thing. There was one nod for brother, has anyone else had any kind of luck with them?

And thanks for the warm welcomes
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome! I have Babylocks, so don't have firsthand knowledge of any redent model singers. I think reading Consumer Reports is a good idea that someonecelsecsuggested. Good luck on your search!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my Pfaff from craigslist for $200. there are some great deals there if you keep looking
    Last edited by snippet; June 24th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I love my brother! With that said, would LOVE to have my mom's old singer, don't know the model but believe its a late 50's model. I have my great aunts old singer... guessing a 40's model, but it needs some serious attention. I love the old machines. Would definitely get yours checked out. As Marilyn said, don't know if its plastic or not (I think we have the same machine) and it makes no difference to me as long as it does its thing right.

Designer Diva

Pipe Creek, Texas A wide spot in the road northwest of San Antonio
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Brother Quilting Special. I LOVE it! Have had it for two years. Would you believe I bought it at WalMart for $200? It has some fancy stitches, the free motion quilting foot, the walking foot, 1/4" seam foot and several others. The only problem I had with it was my fault. I never cleaned it in two years (shame face) and the feed dogs didn't work right. After cleaning it.....it sews like a champ!
    Have I mentioned that I LOVE my Brother?
    "One can never consent to creep, when one feels the impulse to soar" -Helen Keller

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to know about the inside parts it is easy to tell, wrap your arm around the body of the machine and try to shake it...if it moves it is probably plastic.....don't purchase it....the stability is in the metal body and it won't move...!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have the Singer Quartet and love it. It's in a higher price range than your and is also a lot larger machine. I have had only one problem with it, which got problem solved over the phone.

I will now go :knock on wood:
    pat.

No rain....no rainbows!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by New York Sue View Post
    Okay, my turn to chime in, lol.
    What make and model is your grandmother's machine, and do you have the instruction book? I bought a reconditioned Janome and gained a couple of decorative stitches I don't use, a needle up and down feature that's nice (but, really?) and an automatic threader that currently doesn't work. Now the needle over position, that's another story. GOLDEN when making HSTs....
    But when it all comes down to it, I would have been fine with my Mom's Singer Featherweight. CIRCA 1942. They are absolute BULLS.
    Before you get into a big purchase, I would get out the manual and go through the threading directions. The wrong sized bobbin can cause havoc, as well. I've experienced that.
    Grandma's machine may just need a good cleaning and oiling. I really would take it to a reputable dealer before I kicked her to the curb. They REALLY, really, don't make these things like they use to!!
    Hey now missy... I LOVE that needle down, needle up thing... especially when I am in a hurry. LOL. I can thread more reliably than the threader though. Silly thing. It's hit and miss. But, all in all, I like my Janome. It's got to be 10 times quieter than my Singer was.