Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you smell that?!?!

Hey, has anybody noticed that some of the fabrics recently have a chemical/pesticide-like smell to them? I didn't notice it in the store, but after they had been cut, put into a bag, and made the trip home I could smell it when I opened the bag. I run the fabrics through a wash and a dry before I use them anyway, but was just wondering if anybody else had noticed this.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you smell that?!?!

I've not noticed a chemical smell like you describe...hmmm...I'll have to pay more attention next time I buy fabric...
    Michele

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It wasn't "Knock You Over" powerful, but it was there when I opened the bag. The bag sat in the back of the car and got warm in the sun. I don't know if that helped bring out the smell, but I am guessing it did.
    I was wondering if they are fumigating imported fabrics to keep from bringing in pests and possible diseases.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking maybe you are smelling the sizing??? I can't imagine that thy are doing mass fumigations....that could open companies to liability...I can't have my yard treated by just any company...I am very sensitive to insect sprays...we have to have a company that uses fume free treatments...or else I end up in the ER with the mother of all asthma attacks....
    Michele

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the sizing, although if that is it, it must be a new brand/batch, as I had never smelled it before. I also went back and checked the fabrics I bought that day. There were several white on white prints and white on off white prints, and a couple of 1/2 yard prints in other colors that I just couldn't pass up. ops:
    The more I think about it, I wonder if it was the combination of the sizing and the white ink. It seems that the white ink goes down much more heavily than the other prints to make it show up better. I haven't bought the WoWs in a while as I usually stock up on those when I find a killer sale.
    In any case, please let me know if any one else has found this, or if you ladies at the store have noticed this smell when you unpack a new shipment.
    Shell, I would hope that they aren't fumigating the shipments without letting the public know. I would think that adverse reactions like yours would keep them from doing that. We never thought that they would be painting our kids toys with lead-based paint either....

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm, nope I haven't noticed. But I will be aware now. Maybe I can ask someone at Market, too! It would be good to know, that's for sure!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't noticed any new smells or stronger smells. Perhaps you got fabric from an "odd" bolt that had a little more sizing than usual?
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a brocade once that had a funny smell. Since I didn't want to spend to have it dry cleaned before I used it I hung it outside to air out for a few hours and that took care of it

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed some cuts that I have bought do smell more than others. I haven't noticed them getting any stronger smelling lately though. My former boss claimed that I had "A Bionic Nose" because I can always smell things that other people can't smell or smell things before other people can smell them. This ability has its pros, but trust me, it has its cons too.

I always wash everything as soon as I get it home. I have what my dermatologist calls hypersensitive skin. My kids have it too. I really have to watch what I touch. I hope that they have not started using stronger stuff on fabric :!: I don't see my husband standing at the sink getting all that extra dye out. :shock: Oh my, what would I do when my stash runs out? :shock: I know, hey mom.........
    My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.