Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warning!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Warning!

I purchased the Cold Spring Dreams charm packs to make another falling charms quilt. I love this line and fabric is scrumptiously soft and has a beautiful smooth hand.

Did I measure the charms, as I ALWAYS do? No, I got in a hurry and cut all my white fabric to 5" inch squares. Guess what? These charm packs are cut at a hair over 5 1/8" and I cut all my white squares at exactly 5". And, YES, that little bit rears it's ugly head, so I'm now at a much slower progress than I intended.

Just warning you guys. If you use this set of charm packs and need to cut fabric for the white squares, measure your charm packs first! This is not meant to scare you off. It's a great line and the fabric is excellent. I just need to make adjustments now. Perhaps I can save some of you the time involved in making all charms the same size.

https://www.missouriquiltco.com/shop/detail/12794

2. Thanks Silverlining, Judy, USMC, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Warning!

A good reminder to ALWAYS double check the measurements of stuff before you begin.

Sharyn, sorry that you had to deal with it though.
    Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don't matter,
    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I got one of those charm packs so I am glad for the warning. I will check each one out pack. The last time I had problems with a charm pack 15 were cut under 5"and just messed my whole project up. Thanks again Sharyn

Hugs Ann

5. Thanks Silverlining thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the warning, I do have that charm pack. Although,the way I do my falling charms, it won't matter because I cut after I chain piece. But if I do a D9P with white it will make a difference. I say better too big than too small.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I measure all precuts now since I had an oversized jelly roll. Thanks for the reminder and sorry you have to deal with the headache.
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric
    Martina (aka MadQuilter in other forums)

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

I would never even think to measure a precut. Thanks for the info.

BTW, for those precuts that are pinked, do you count the tip of the pinked fabric when figuring seam allowance, or stat measuring where the fabric is whole? I have only used a few precuts and haven't figured out the correct way yet- I just wing it.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I bought those charm packs (3) but since I had problems with one line I purchased previously, I now measure everything I buy precut before I start any new projects.
    I agree, better that it is too big than too small.
    Thanks for the warning.
    Julia

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by verenaerin View Post
    BTW, for those precuts that are pinked, do you count the tip of the pinked fabric when figuring seam allowance, or stat measuring where the fabric is whole? I have only used a few precuts and haven't figured out the correct way yet- I just wing it.
    Measure the precut to make sure but it should be the tip of the pinked fabric.

11. Thanks Silverlining thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Thanks for the warning, I do have that charm pack. Although,the way I do my falling charms, it won't matter because I cut after I chain piece. But if I do a D9P with white it will make a difference. I say better too big than too small.
    That's exactly what I'm doing Jean, the D9P. I didn't have any white charms so I cut my own. Now I'm going to pin a post-it note to my forehead to remember to measure the charm packs first. Sure will be nice when the industry cuts them all the same! I've straightened out most of the problem and have 10 squares done so far. It's just taking a lot longer than I planned.

13. Thanks Silverlining thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty charm pack though, will make a lovely falling charm quilt. Sorry you had this problem, it does slow you up and is soooo frustrating. I'm sure though it will be lovely.