Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Speaking of new machines...Pfaff Performance 5

The sewing machine fanatics people I love to chat with have been talking about this newly released sewing only Pfaff. I think it is such an exciting machine! It has the sewing side of their TOL sewing/embroidery combo machines, but you don't have to pay for embroidery capability if that's not what you are interested in! Finally!

For it's price point, there aren't many machine on the market that can TOUCH it's features or outstanding stitch quality! The MSRP is $2999, most are getting them in the $2500-2700 range. It is a very user friendly, very intuitive machine.

I LOVE sewing machines about as much as I LOVE to sew.

Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Speaking of new machines...Pfaff Performance 5

Awesome machine! Just had my lunch and watched the entire video.

3. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just watched this video and am really fascinated by it. I love the large 9mm stitches and the speed. I'm looking for a new machine and this may be in the running! Thanks for sharing this video!
    TODAY IS A GOOD DAY...TO HAVE A GOOD DAY...Genny

5. Thanks Cat n bull thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome! And I have watched it a few times, it helps me remember how to do things on my machines!

I hope you get to try one out soon.
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic machine. If I was rich I'd be like people who collect cars. I'd have the top of the line in every single machine made. Hahaha! It definitely has some features that would be nice, such as, the 9mm decorative stitches,the auto-lift on the pressure foot and the larger space between needle and neck of the machine. Gosh, wouldn't it be great to take all the features that each of these fabulous machines has and combine them all into one machine? Just wait a few more years and that might come true. LOL
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Fantastic machine. If I was rich I'd be like people who collect cars. I'd have the top of the line in every single machine made. Hahaha! It definitely has some features that would be nice, such as, the 9mm decorative stitches,the auto-lift on the pressure foot and the larger space between needle and neck of the machine. Gosh, wouldn't it be great to take all the features that each of these fabulous machines has and combine them all into one machine? Just wait a few more years and that might come true. LOL
    LOL! I feel the same way! I would have a FLEET of sewing machines if I could.

This machine comes pretty close to having it all! I have a really nice machine that does just about everything too, so I will just live vicariously through others that also have SWEET machines and dream about my future fleet. :-)
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I keep thinking about this machine; just trying to figure out how to pay for one. When I think about it though; my old Pfaff 1222e was not cheap by late 70's standards either. If a new one lasts as long as that one, it would be WELL worth the money. That old machine still has the best stitches, and the IDT IS really a great feature. I'm really leaning toward another Pfaff.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lindagie View Post
    I keep thinking about this machine; just trying to figure out how to pay for one. When I think about it though; my old Pfaff 1222e was not cheap by late 70's standards either. If a new one lasts as long as that one, it would be WELL worth the money. That old machine still has the best stitches, and the IDT IS really a great feature. I'm really leaning toward another Pfaff.
    A computerized machine is NOT going to last as long as a mechanical machine, but you should still get many happy years sewing on one.

I HIGHLY recommend Pfaff, and the really amazing features on this machine are a big reason why. Precise feed and excellent stitch quality are another. I also have a VERY very good dealer, and I think that makes all the difference in the world.

Pfaff is about to have a 0% for 60 months financing deal, I believe it will start in July. Keep checking their facebook page, they will post it there.

If you look at other brands and try to find these features, you are going to find at this price point they don't even come CLOSE to what this machine offers!
    Cathryn

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

I am also looking to buy a new machine. I was convinced that I was going to buy the Janome Horizon 7700. I went to the local shop today and I saw this new Pfaff performance 5.0. What a machine !!! Now I am not sure any more what to buy.
    The Janome has a bigger ( 11") throat space than the Pfaff (10"). Does this make a big difference when you are quilting large quilts ?

I think that the Pfaff has all the other features the Janome has. So now I am totally confused. I am going back to the store on Monday to try out both machines. This will be my first real big sewing machine. I bought a small Husqvarna 20 years ago, so now I am very excited to buy a new one, except that I don't know what to buy anymore.
    Any opinions ? Thank you.
    Greet

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greet View Post
    I am also looking to buy a new machine. I was convinced that I was going to buy the Janome Horizon 7700. I went to the local shop today and I saw this new Pfaff performance 5.0. What a machine !!! Now I am not sure any more what to buy.
    The Janome has a bigger ( 11") throat space than the Pfaff (10"). Does this make a big difference when you are quilting large quilts ?

I think that the Pfaff has all the other features the Janome has. So now I am totally confused. I am going back to the store on Monday to try out both machines. This will be my first real big sewing machine. I bought a small Husqvarna 20 years ago, so now I am very excited to buy a new one, except that I don't know what to buy anymore.
    Any opinions ? Thank you.
    Greet
    Are the prices comparable?

How easy are the features to use? The Pfaff does have more features.

Does the Janome dual feed foot have to be removed to be changed? (I know their older models do-that was a deal breaker for me!) IDT is SO versatile. SO simple to use and there is no other dual feed that can give more precise fabric feeding. The Performance 5 has Pfaff's Optimized feed, it is FANTASTIC no matter what kind of fabric you are sewing.

1" throat space is not a significant difference.

The Janome has 7mm max width stitches. The Pfaff has 9mm stitches.

The Janome does not have maxi stitches. Pfaff's maxi stitches are up to 48mm! And they are beautiful.

The Janome does not list as one of it's features the auto presser foot lift and pivot. Does it have it?

The Janome also doesn't list it's stitch editing capabilities. Does it have a stitch creator, where you can create your own stitches from scratch? Does it have tapering? Does it have personal file folders to store your created/edited stitches? Does it have patchwork setting? Does it have the single stitch option? Stitch sequencing? How many alphabet fonts? Monogram font? The Pfaff has 50 more stitches, and they can all be customized and saved if you want to save them.

The Pfaff let's you customize your tie off and thread snip settings. Can you custom program the Janome's start, end and tie off options?

Does the Janome have the Help menu right on the machine or do you have to get your manual out?

Can you use your start/stop button AND your foot controller at the same time on the Janome, or do you have to unplug your foot controller to use it? (the older J models make you unplug the foot controller)

Do they both have color touchscreens? The Pfaff screen is GORGEOUS and it shows the stitches full sized, so you can tell where they will go on your fabric (in relation to the center line) and how they will look as you are editing them. Or creating them.

Definitely really LOOK at the features of each machine, and how easy it is to use them. They are both really outstanding machines but I think the Pfaff gives you MUCH much more for your money.

Edit:
    I just found a YouTube demo of the 7700 and the Pfaff is WAAYYYYYY nicer! Just in the first few moments of the video I can see where the Pfaff outshines!

First thing, you can NOT use the start/stop button unless you unplug the foot controller. The second spool pin isn't attached, you have to put it on then take it off. There isn't a separate bobbin winding motor, you have to use the machine's motor. There is no auto presser foot lift. That right there is an ABSOLUTE deal breaker!

The screen on the Janome is not even comparable.

The dual feed is a major production to use. You even have to take the needle out. You need a screwdriver to change it. Comparing this dual feed to Pfaff's is like comparing a tricycle to a Cadillac.

The stitch editing and sequencing is primitive compared to the Performance 5. The buttonholes aren't very adjustable either.

If the Janome is a SIGNIFICANT savings then maybe the extras on the Pfaff are an acceptable sacrifice, but if they are close in price then the Pfaff has so so much more to offer!
    Last edited by Cat n bull; June 29th, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
    Cathryn

13. Thanks Greet thanked for this post