Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How Would You Like An Extra Quilt Room?

Aww, Misa! It's OK...two of my children have left the nest and guess what, one of their bedrooms became my sewing room! Just have hope that when your children hit the adg of adulthood, that it is reassuring they are prepared and can make it on their own! It will all be OK; I still worry about them (speacially the one in the NAvy)!
    Sherri

"Don't let someone else's ugly spoil your beautiful. " Thanks, Bubby!!!!!!

2. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I had that "Empty Nest" Feeling about 5 years ago. My daughter and her boyfriend and my oldest grandson moved out, my husband was working out of town and "OOOOOO" did I so enjoy that. I sewed till all hours of the night, went to bed got up went to work and then started over. The next year my middle grandson was born 6 1/2 weeks early they lived with me for a couple of months, my husband still out of town working, then my daughter and her family moved out again. But, this time they were at my house every night for supper and would watch tv until 10 or 11 and then go home, so needless to say no "Empty Nest" time. Now
    a year in a half ago my daughter and her two boys moved back home and doesn't look like they are going any where soon. Man I miss that quiet time. Oh yea, and my husband is back in town working now.

So Misa enjoy the quiet time and think of what you can get done. I miss mine.

Lynne

4. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Misa........I know how you feel. Our son moved about almost 2 years ago. We knew he was wanting to get a place with some friends so we sat him down and went over all the different types of bills & expenses he would have. They looked for places off & on for awhile but not that seriously. Then one day my DH & I were out eating lunch and he told me our son came by to talk to him at work & that he & his friends found a place and were moving out within a few days. Our son went to dad because he knew mom would not be reasonable...especially if caught off guard. Dads seem to handle it way better than moms. At the time I wanted to cry right there in the restaurant. A few days later he was moved out. I was happy for him because he was excited but it was hard for awhile. But soon after my DH & I adjusted to the quiet & had more time for us. I worried way too much those first few months and still do some time. I started quilting not too long after he moved out..............Quilting is therapy for so many things!

6. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Awww Misa, I love your wedding story. You mother was a wise woman! Your job as a mother is never done, you just move on to different chapters. Think of this as starting a new chapter and enjoy it.
    Robin
    My Pinterest Page of the Quilts I've Made: http://www.pinterest.com/rwmomto3/quilts-ive-made/

8. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Aw Misa, I really feel for you. I have a 17 year old son and a girl who is about to turn 13. My son has dreams and aspirations to get a lacrosse scholarship to a university in the States. The thing is, any of the schools he is interested in are in Pennsylvania, Mass and WV. We live in Western Canada! So he plans on going clear across the country. Just thinking about it breaks my heart but for years and years, every night when I tucked him in, I would tell him to DREAM BIG and well, the little stinker listened to me

As others have said, you've given your son wings and now it his time to fly. Be proud of yourself for a job well done, allow yourself to miss him and feel sad but rejoice and be proud in knowing you had a big hand in making him the man that he is.

And in a couple of years when I'm posting my own pity party because Eric is moving away, remind me of my advice! LOL I'm sure I will forget everything I said and will need to hear it.

Big hugs to you Misa.
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

10. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Misa, this just proves you are absolutely NORMAL. You will be fine; it's just going to take some adjusting, like all changes in our lives. I understand the suddenness does make it a bit more of an "owwie", but be grateful DS has given you a couple of months, and not just a couple of weeks to prepare.

So, have a good cry, and then start measuring DS's room for all the wonderful quilting space you're going to have! And pay off that truck ASAP so you can have your own wheels!

Hugs & blessings, ~ Sally \0/

12. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Misa, I am 64 yrs old hand don't have a clue. My older kids are now all in their 40's but the oldest lives with us as he was hurt in a car accident and is in a power chair. I had always don't child care when my kids were younger so I could stay at home with them. I went from Child care to foster care to us adopting our two youngest when I was 54. They are now 12 1/2 and 13 1/2, I home school them both and life is still pretty crazy at our house most days.

I remember when we first went into foster care. We had one of my great neices living with us and she had birthed her first baby while at our house. I cared for him for 2 1/2 yrs. She decided that they would move back to her moms and I was laying in bed one night listing to the quiet. I told my husband that I wanted to do foster care. I simply could not imagine not hearing little feet running in our home. So that journey started and after 23 kids in 3 yrs we were given the privilege to call Missy M and Mr. T ours.

I guess I have a theory, if you are content to have all your children gone(empty nest) then enjoy that. Nothing wrong with that. If you simply can't see yourself in that spot then do something about it. There are so many avenous that people that love children are needed and you will be blessed beyond measure. If you want more ideas in the latter message me and I can give you more detail. I will tell you that many of the ideas are truly life changing experiences. They take someone who is ready to give up of themselves and give it to others.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

14. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't get to experience the empty nest thing. DD moved out while I was out of town taking care of my terminal MIL. In all honesty, with everything else that was going on I just didn't mind. She didn't move that far, and I still saw her all the time. She was in college, and working FT so she wasn't home when I was awake all that much. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done. You gave him the knowledge and independence to take flight. This to will pass. ((((Misa))))
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Miss, we are in the same boat! Only son moved out a month or so ago. I am making his room my sewing room, which is easing the pain some. I know this is what we raised them to do, so we should be proud, but it is still ok to cry--we are mourning the passing of a stage in our lives. It will take a bit of adjustment--I got all teary eyed tonight about it. He is currently living in town and we do see him at least once a week. This fall, he is going to college a couple of hours away. Anytime you want to chat, I am here for you. Hugs, Lisa
    Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

17. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Misa, I do understand how you feel. My youngest daughter got married on a Saturday and the oldest moved out the Monday after. That was almost 3 years ago and you do adjust and move on. I've gotten used to living alone, but I can't say I like it. Although I talk to both of them almost every day and I now have a new grandson, it is not the same. But I am very proud of them, and, hey, if I don't feel like cooking dinner, I don't!

19. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post