Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I hate my machine, what do you have?

18 months ago I bought a Singer Quantum 9960 Stylist. I haven't liked it much since, mainly cause of the threading issue. Now, again, the needle threader is not working, and I really need that little helper and the needle is suddenly to far to the left that it barely skims the left side of the hole of the pressure foot instead of going in the middle like it should and used to do. I haven't hit any pins or had any malfunctions...just is that way now. I have changed needles and tried everything I can think of. I am so sick of this machine. I can't quilt until I get this fixed...talk about hell on earth!

But I would like to get everyone's comments on their favorite machine for around $500. I really need the needle threader, I like alot of stitches nad a long table extension. Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I hate my machine, what do you have?

I'm so sorry all this has happened to your machine. Singer seems to run about 50/50 -- 50% of owners love them and 50% of owners have repair issues. I'm sorry you were in the wrong half.

I love my Brother SE400. It's a very lightweight sewing/embroidery machine, and it's an absolute workhorse. The needle threader works every time, too. But it doesn't have an extention table. (I have an adjustable, after-market extention table from www.sewingmates.com which works well.) I believe my machine was about $350 from Amazon. If my SE400 is any indication, then Brother is making fine machines. If you head into the $500 range for a strict sewing machine (no embroidery), I think you'd be happy.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look a what Janome has in that price range...my 3165QC was a little higher but I know that they have lower end machines that still have all the bells and whistles you are looking for....hope this helps a little, sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your machine.

4. Thanks quiltingaway thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a needle position setting? My cheapie Singer One has this. Maybe you moved the needle over by mistake. As far as the needle threader, I've had more than one that was misalligned. I just took a tweezers and grabbed the little hook and bent it to the right or left so it would go through the needle eye. Also, I know you have to have the needle in the uppermost position to get the threader to work. You might try that until you decide which machine to get.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cheri, I am not familiar with your machine but the needle position sounds just like that. Most machines that have decorative stitches also have the ability to adjust the needle position for straight stitch and even narrow decorative stitches. You may have bumped a button or moved something that adjusted your needle. Look in your manual for needle adjustments.

Is there a dealer that you can go to that may help? I hatted my Janome 7700 the first few times I used it. It was such a big learning curve and so many differences from what I had it just seemed I could never get it to work right. I finally caved and went to the dealers class, learned some of the basics and now I love it.
    I hope you can get it resolved.
    Be blessed,
    Sandy

God has a plan and it is a good plan.

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I love my new Brother. Personally you couldn't give me another Singer, but I do know some folks on here have them and love them. Sounds like Jean said, a simple needle adjustment will fix it. Read, and re read your manual to figure it out.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Orange County, CA and Baarn, Netherlands temporarily
    Post Thanks / Like

Janome and Viking are the brands I have. My machines are high-end but I also have a little Jem Gold Janome that's a wonderful little machine and it was a lot less that $500. I wouldn't hesitate to suggest either brand to you. I see sewists on-line using Bernina and Baby Lock so I suppose those are good brands as well. I think Elna is a good brand but I don't know anyone who has one.
    Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I sew on a Pfaff, my last machine was a Pfaff also. I have sewn on all kinds.I prefer my Pfaff. I would never sew on a singer or a viking don't like them. I know people love their Janomes. Look around , look for features you like and give them a test drive. I also hear some good words about Brothers.
    Iris Girl = April = fabric, Fabric FABRIC!!
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.
    Sigmund Freud

Quilting Guru

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Janome. I 100% agree with Mom4him!! I HATED it at first, but after we got to know each other, I love it!!! It was $300-400 dollar range depending on where you buy. It doesn't do embroidery, but does have a few small bells and whistles. I would go to a dealer and look around. I had a Brother for 15 years (didn't maintain it properly or it probably would have lasted longer!) and was sad to see it go.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I started out with a Janome, Magnolia series 7330. And I still am using it. It was $399 and is still advertised for that price. Another thing I would encourage you to do is to buy from a dealer, so they can show you how to use the specific machine as well as be responsible to fix it if something should go wrong. My understanding that some machines are plastic inside, which it was often breaks and can't be fixed (or costs an arm and a leg to) When I upgrade, it'll probably be another Janome.....6600 or higher model. Good luck in your journey with finding the right machine for you.
    Happy sewing!