Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I hate my machine, what do you have?

I bought a Babylock Jazz from a friend of a friend. I absolutely hate it, too. I have other machines, but wanted a work horse. I can't even get the bobbin threaded correctly. I didn't do any research before I bought it. Now I am probably stuck with it.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Bernina fan, and have 3 1130s and one 1230 in my stable, along with a (new to me) 580 I picked up to do FMQ with. I love the specialty quilting feet (like #57 1/4" foot, and 3 sole walking foot). Really exact stitches, fabulous tension. They've very rarely needed anything more than a tune up at regular intervals. I wouldn't stitch on anything else, given my druthers.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, so nice to have this 2013 thread resurrected. Many of the people who posted way back then are no longer active on the M* Forum. It was nice to see their names again. And a big welcome to Lina who is brand new here, and to Thayer, who joined fairly recently. Silver and Gold!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

4. Thanks Monique, sydneybean, Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGramma View Post
    I'm so sorry all this has happened to your machine. Singer seems to run about 50/50 -- 50% of owners love them and 50% of owners have repair issues. I'm sorry you were in the wrong half.

I love my Brother SE400. It's a very lightweight sewing/embroidery machine, and it's an absolute workhorse. The needle threader works every time, too. But it doesn't have an extention table. (I have an adjustable, after-market extention table from www.sewingmates.com which works well.) I believe my machine was about $350 from Amazon. If my SE400 is any indication, then Brother is making fine machines. If you head into the $500 range for a strict sewing machine (no embroidery), I think you'd be happy.
    GuitarGramma, how did your SE400 hold up? At about the 3 year mark mine stopped sewing although I can still use it for embroidery. I think I got mine just maybe a little before you got yours. It was the mechanism inside the machine that raised and lowered the feed dogs. I did read that several other people had done that too and it couldn't be repaired (or cost so much it just wasn't worth it.) How did yours fair?

Women are Angels.
    When someone
    break's our wings
    we will continue to
    fly...usually on a
    broomstick.
    We're flexible like that.
    - embroitique

6. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carlie Wolf View Post
    GuitarGramma, how did your SE400 hold up? At about the 3 year mark mine stopped sewing although I can still use it for embroidery. I think I got mine just maybe a little before you got yours. It was the mechanism inside the machine that raised and lowered the feed dogs. I did read that several other people had done that too and it couldn't be repaired (or cost so much it just wasn't worth it.) How did yours fair?
    I'm afraid that I quickly fell in love with embroidery and upgraded to a mid-level Brother embroidery only machine, the Innovis 1400 or 1450-ish. It's still going strong. I gave my SE400 to my daughter who has literally never used it. I'm sorry to hear that yours quit working at such a young age.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

8. Thanks Carlie Wolf thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, am i the only one here who thinks and old black classic Singer straight stitch mounted in its flat top cabinet is wonderful for quilting? New enough for reverse & old enough to be straight stitch, thats my sweet spot. I have a top of line Husqvarna from 25 yrs ago. I made all my kids and my clothes on it but now i just use it to make my quilt labels.

10. Thanks Monique thanked for this post
    Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThornCherish View Post
    Wow, am i the only one here who thinks and old black classic Singer straight stitch mounted in its flat top cabinet is wonderful for quilting? New enough for reverse & old enough to be straight stitch, thats my sweet spot. I have a top of line Husqvarna from 25 yrs ago. I made all my kids and my clothes on it but now i just use it to make my quilt labels.
    Your not alone, there is nothing better than a vintage machine, they almost never break, and if they do, it's so easy to fix them. I do my own repairs, I have a straight model 15, where the tension is on the back side, and is almost as small as a featherweight, and the "Taylors" 201 centennial model.
    When you have decided what you believe, what you feel must be done, have the courage to stand alone and be counted
    Eleanor Roosevelt

12. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ThornCherish View Post
    I have several vintage machines, I also love them.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Rotary Pro

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a Brother PQ1500SL about 6 months and it is wonderful for straight sewing/piecing and quilting thru layers. Very reasonable price for an industrial strength machine. Otherwise, I'm still using my old Kenmore machine that has all the decorative stitches on it.

15. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

I am so thxful i can still see to thread the old machines. I dont know what I will do when i cant.

17. Thanks Thayer Abaigael thanked for this post