Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I hate my machine, what do you have?

I have the Brother PC420 which was $399. I have no complaints about it. It works great and stitches very well.
    Lori

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If you find yourself in the market for a new machine, after checking yours and trying all the advice you have gotten from these wonderful friends here, I love my Baby Lock, I have the Tempo, not real fancy but it is a work horse.
    Beth

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Like Lori, I have the Brother PC 420 and am very happy with it. Lots of options for the money. Doesn't come with an extension table, but I ordered one online and still kept the whole thing under $500 including taxes. Its been a real workhorse for me.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I started off with a lower priced Singer...hated it, spent more time trying to get it to sew right and rethreading it than sewing. Next, I bought a Brother from Walmart for around $200 and liked it. Just recently I upgraded and bought a Janome Memorycraft 6500 and omg...it's a dream machine. It's about 3 times your budget, but Janome does have lower priced machines and they probably are about the same without some of the bells and whistles.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Brother machines are my favorite. I have the Brother PRW 420....nice machine.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    Do you have a needle position setting? My cheapie Singer One has this. Maybe you moved the needle over by mistake. As far as the needle threader, I've had more than one that was misalligned. I just took a tweezers and grabbed the little hook and bent it to the right or left so it would go through the needle eye. Also, I know you have to have the needle in the uppermost position to get the threader to work. You might try that until you decide which machine to get.
    Jean.. I have done all this but thanks for sharing.. at least I know I have done all I can to fix it. I keep "adjusting" that little hook, and it will grab the thread...but NOT through the eye of the needle..it is to one side and draws it to the back. So I have to get that hook to go into the eye...kind of like finding a needle in a hay stack worth of options! And I am afraid of breaking it...which makes me think, maybe I can buy that paritcular part and replace it. I will look into that! This is just the weirdest thing on the needle position to far to the left.... I just don't know how it could have happened.. I NEVER sew over pins so there has been nothing to jab it over.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mom4him View Post
    Cheri, I am not familiar with your machine but the needle position sounds just like that. Most machines that have decorative stitches also have the ability to adjust the needle position for straight stitch and even narrow decorative stitches. You may have bumped a button or moved something that adjusted your needle. Look in your manual for needle adjustments.

Is there a dealer that you can go to that may help? I hatted my Janome 7700 the first few times I used it. It was such a big learning curve and so many differences from what I had it just seemed I could never get it to work right. I finally caved and went to the dealers class, learned some of the basics and now I love it.
    I hope you can get it resolved.
    Yeha, Mom4him.. I have checked that. I was at first thrilled t hinking.. "whoooo...thought it was going to be a problem" and then when I checked everything and all was fine and even turned it off and back on to re set...there it still sits!

There is NO dealer in my area for about 40 miles! Of all things not to have!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asta View Post
    If you find yourself in the market for a new machine, after checking yours and trying all the advice you have gotten from these wonderful friends here, I love my Baby Lock, I have the Tempo, not real fancy but it is a work horse.
    Beth
    asta....I hear so much about baby Locks....can you tell me your exprience? I quilt and sew most things other than clothes. Why a baby lock?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone. Lot of options here. I just like hearing what people have as referrences instead of just what the dealer tells me and what I read. Personal experience is often the better reference! I have a few ideas and will give them a try and if the place I bought doesn't want to do a trade in, I might just have to schedule an excursion to the repair place about 50 miles away. I don't have much to spend. I chose this Singer as I had a Singer 2010 for 28 years...worked perfectly every time so in spite of knowing Singer went away and has recently "come back"... I chose them again. But that was before I made friends with all of you and had sewers to talk to ! Thanks again for all suggestions.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Cheri, there is a new Pfaff in your price range. It is a lightweight travel machine, but it has IDT and it has really superb stitch quality. The Passport 2.0.

I have spoken to several people that own them and most are amazed at how well this little machine sews! I got one for taking to monthly Project Linus meetings, it is an impressive machine for it's price point.

IDT for quilting is incomparable. And it saves you from having to buy an expensive walking foot, which other brands do NOT include on their lower priced machines.

Not only are you spared the expense of needing to by extra feet, you are spared the hassle of putting it on and taking it off, because other brands lower priced, ( and even their MUCH higher priced!) machines do not allow you to sew much with the walking foot on, you have to remove it completely to sew something other than a straight stitch. Pfaff's IDT is part of the machine itself, it is super simple to disengage it if you really want to, but you don't HAVE to because most of their presser feet are compatible with it.

You have to get a Pfaff from a dealer, they are not sold in big box stores or over the internet. If you buy one from an unauthorized dealer and have it shipped, it voids the warranty.

They are EXCELLENT machines known for their precision fabric feeding and really outstanding stitch quality. If you compare features per price point, they are very feature rich.
    Cathryn