Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow, who knew....

...that quilting was so strenuous?

I gave myself a proper workout yesterday - squatting on the floor pinning a quilt sandwich, and an upper arm workout whilst wrestling said quilt sandwich through my little domestic machine

My backside and arms are killing me today And here was me thinking it would be a nice relaxing activity consisting of mainly sitting down

Hats off to those that manhandle king size quilts, you must have muscles like Popeye

Back to the machine...

2. Thanks alliek thanked for this post
    9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wow, who knew....

I have just done a child's quilt and can definitely feel my shoulder complaining. I am restricted in the size of quilts I can make by my living room floor which is where I make the 'sandwich' so my poor shoulder won't ever be tested by quilting a large quilt luckily.

4. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

It can be very straining if you have a lot of drag. Try to get as much as you can up on the table and even use your ironing board to your left to pile the bulk on. Hope this experience doesn't scare you away from such a wonderful hobby.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

6. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Marilyn is right; the more support you have for the quilt the easier it is on your body and your sewing machine....I have a table that sits right behind my machine to help with the quilt....

8. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post
    UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I have a large drafting table next to my machine, set up in a L shape with the unit that my machine is on, so I do have a bit of space. I think I was surprised at how physical it all was, and how much I ached

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Everytime I cut fabric, or try putting a quilt together, you would think I just ran a 5k race. My hair is dripping, I'm dripping. If you have a volunteer Fire Dept. near you, call and ask if you can bring your quilt there, push some tables together and you will be amazed at how easy it goes together. We (friends and I) go to a local dept. and sew once a month. It's really fun to work on your projects with your friends. We make a quilt for fire dept. to raffle off for their fund drive. We tried giving them money once a month but they turned us down. One of the wives of the dept. (being one of us) has a key so that if anyone has a quilt to put together, we can just go and get it done. We will be making another quilt for this years fund drive. They are volunteers, so we try to help a little. We make sure we leave things put back in place and clean up after ourselves. They are so kind to let us use their house. Check and see if you have someplace like that to go to. Your church, a fire dept., a local school. They will usually go out of their way to help quilters out. Hugs, Jan L.
    Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

11. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it is... Last fall I put my top rib out in my shoulder. SO Much pain and I had to go to the Chiropractor every day for a week and then again after before it popped back. UGH...

13. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post
    Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I always get exhausted when I am working on any of my projects. I don't have the right set-up, I know -- I sew at my dining room table, have my ironing board set up in my bedroom and I am constantly jumping up and down going from room to room. Silly, I know. Have to figure out a better way!! And don't get me started on how bad my back and legs hurt after crawling around on the floor when I am sandwiching my quilt together!!!!

15. Thanks SarahYoo thanked for this post