Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Dreading a task this morning.

I am truly dreading a task this morning. Please let me explain. About 6 months ago, me and 6 other ladies from our church started work on a beautiful quilt (queen size, Jacob's Ladder pattern) that we plan on raffling off to raise money for our mission in South Africa. It turned out beautifully and we are so proud of our efforts. When we were done piecing and sewing, we took it to our local quilt shop to be quilted on their long arm. Now, this shop has been in business for years and has a good reputation. Last week, we got the quilt back, and are so disappointed with the quality of the quilting! The main body is stipple quilted (fine) but on 2 of the 3 borders, the "feather" pattern is not centered on the border - in fact in many places it actually runs off the edge of the quilt, and will be covered by the binding. I was the one who picked up the quilt, and I should have examined it at that time, but I was in a hurry....etc.
    So today, we are taking it back to the shop...don't know what they can do. Do you think it's possible to remove all the quilting from the border and have it re-done? I'm afraid the borders and batting will just be shredded. I am heartsick.
    Any suggestions?

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Dreading a task this morning.

since it is only the borders that are UN-acceptable to your group would there be anyway to take them off? I realize that they are quilted and you would have to "patch" the back and batting, but could you make it part of the design?....just a thought.
    Kellie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How worrisome for you and the ladies. Hope it can be fixed after all your hard work.

Hugs Ann

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

The people at the quilt shop can pick it out and make it right. That is why you paid them.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

You're right! Just got back from the quilt shop and that is exactly what they are going to do! They will pick out both borders that were inaccurately quilted and re-do both borders at no charge. Whew! Hopefully will get it back in a week and all will be well. Thanks to those who helped.

6. Thanks Cat n bull, SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad it all worked out for you.
    Tanya

Methinks it is a token of healthy and gentle characteristics, when women of high thoughts and accomplishments love to sew; especially as they are never more at home with their own hearts than while so occupied. ~Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Marble Faun, 1859

Missouri Star

Just outside of St. Louis in rural Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say what Karen said. So happy for you that they are going to fix it. After all it is their reputation on the line.
    Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so glad this had a happy ending! This was their problem to fix, not yours, so it's great that they stepped up and did the right thing by ripping out and re-doing.
    Courage is being scared to death, and saddling up anyway. ~John Wayne

Quilting is my passion . . . chocolate is a close second!