• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blondie
    Missouri Star
    • May 2010

We are all Oklahomans

I have been trying to find out how and where to get some prayer quilts out to those in OK. I found some articles online for donations - of course it is for the urgent needs that will continue on.

And don't forget the Salvation Army, Samaritan's Purse. Samaritans Purse left N.C. this morning with two big rigs on their way to Moore.

Also, there is a facebook page set up with updates:
    Oklahoma Tornado, Wildfire & Severe Weather Alerts. 37,155 likes · 6 talking about this. Clearinghouse of information for the Moore, Oklahoma Tornado on May 20th, 2013 (Currently for the state of OK)...

If anyone here knows of how to get some quilts, animals blankets, whatever, let me know. I understand the need for the food and clothing - this is the most important obviously.

My heart is just broken over all my eyes have taken in and I know the rest of the country is as well. I am so encouraged by how many have already arrived to help in the clean up and comfort. Oh how I wish I lived closer. I don't think I would be able to sit down or sleep.

Prayers continue for this tragic event.

Be safe, dear ones.
    Sewing mends the soul.
    sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
    Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
    ~ Madeleine L'Engle

• shannonsaulter
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2012

Re: We are all Oklahomans

I donated to red cross today...I have a friend who moved from ok to tex a few weeks ago due to military and all her friends in ok lost everything just devastating...I'll stick with earthquakes...my prayers and thoughts are with them...
    These things, I warmly wish for you-
    Someone to love, some work to do,
    A bit'o sun, a bit'o cheer.
    And a guardian angel always near.

(¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•Shannon

http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=63
    http://forum.missouriquiltco.com/group.php?groupid=64

Comment

• alliek
      Missouri Star
      • Jul 2011

The red cross is an awesome organization. When you don't know where to focus your donations they are always a great place. My DSIL is a volunteer and packs up at a moments notice to go and help and counsel. Her last assignment was "Sandy". My heart is just torn for these people and besides prayer and monetary donations I too wish there was a way to reach out further.

Comment

• Mary Ruth
        Block Queen
        • Feb 2013

Two transport trucks (18 wheelers) left North Alabama today carrying food, personal care necessities, blankets and new clothing. Tomorrow a convoy of volunteers will follow. Local leaders of various groups/churches here coordinated with emergency services there to be certain that folks with appropriate skills were traveling to the disaster area.

My prayers are the best help I can give. I hurt for the loss of human life and the anguish of those suffering. I did volunteer to go as an aid to resuce workers (keep the coffee hot, blankets warm, and food ready) but my oncologist said NO WAY. I have done this before but I was left behind this time. Blessings to everyone who is helping and praying.

Comment

• auntiemern
          Missouri Star
          • Mar 2012

Will donate thru the SA and RC for now. As soon as you know how and where to send a quilt or two let me know. Prayers continuing for all those affected.
          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
          sigpic

Comment

• Tamara J Liddell
            Batting Beauty
            • Jul 2011

Bonnie Hunter posted this one and then I found the Layers of Hope in my feed.. So I am posting both of them..
            I know Layers of Hope has an address in their feed..

This is from Ellen Medlock of the Ellen Medlock Studio Store in Tulsa, OK.

"I am honored to start a QUILT DRIVE for OKLAHOMA Tornado Families. If you wish to donate a quilt, please send to our shop- and we will make sure it is placed in the right hands!

Ship to:
            OK Quilt Drive,
            c/o Ellen Medlock Studio Store,
            10032 S. Sheridan Rd, Suite H-1,
            Tulsa, OK 74133. (We will be happy to place any kind of blanket, for that matter!)"

Layers Of Hope, Quilting 911, Rochester, Washington. 833 likes. This site is dedicated to those unseen men and women, the real first responder heroes on scene, those who answer their calls, '911 What...
            http://quiltsnsewing.blogspot.com/

Comment

• bkthomas
              Missouri Star
              • Apr 2012

Watch this - AMAZING!!!!
              209 views, 12K likes, 202 loves, 1.6K comments, 28K shares, Facebook Watch Videos from 11 Bravos: Tornado Survivor finds her dog during live tv interview www.11bravos.com
              ~Kathy~

Comment

• Blondie
                Missouri Star
                • May 2010

Thanks everyone. In reading more last night here on the forum after I posted this, I read about previous quilts from Joplin tornado being tossed. So sad.

I realize that now is not really the time to send quilts. I am definitely going to be making some for a future time in sending.
                I generally give to Salvation Army and in the past have given to RC as well. This time I am focusing my attention on Samaritans Purse and SA.
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• deedum
                  Batting Beauty
                  • Mar 2010

I made my donation last nite to RC for OK. It is such a terrible devastation that my heart goes out to everyone. I don't have anytime right now to make a quilt and cash is always welcome. If we can do something, anything, it will help. I am sure quilts will so welcome and just think of the love they would receive with them.

Comment

• MayinJerset
                    Missouri Star
                    • May 2012

As I learned in 9/11 and Hurricane Sandy quilts aren't needed at first but are very welcome when people get into some sort of housing. Finding a group or groups who are getting people back on their feet is where our quilts can go at a later date.

Immediately after Sandy local and national relief groups took over for food, ice, clothes. I donated quilts I had collected to a local church Food Pantry who worked with individal people and families. Some quilts were given to SA but they weren't put out in the open but were given again to people and families who really needed them for their repaired or new living spaces.
                    Last edited by MayinJerset; May 22, 2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

• WendyI
                      Missouri Star
                      • Nov 2012

I have a friend who lives in NJ...her family lost everything in Sandy...she is adamant that people do not donate to Red Cross...apparently the money never gets to those who need it most. I'm not sure why she feels that way at all but she just posted this on FB yesterday, so I thought I would share her thoughts.

I know that others have had good experiences with RC but I thought I would share hers because she was so insistent that people donate through other avenues. I'm looking for places around here that are doing things...the Mennonite Relief Fund is big here so I'm sure they will be doing something.

Comment

• Doloris
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2012

when my son's house burnt down ( to the ground, total loss) everyone BUT the red cross stepped in and helped him. Even a church that was next door to his house that he didn't attend. He even tried to contact the local person for the RC and she never returned his phone calls. He even went to her office and she was "never there". Kinda soured me on the RC too.
                        Dolores :lol::icon_heh:

Comment

• auntiemern
                          Missouri Star
                          • Mar 2012

I am always leary about donating to RC. The reason being is I read at one tie that around 80% of donations go to 'administrative' costs. Sad but true. I have already donated to SA though for Oklahoma relief. May send small amount to RC, but not sure yet. When the time is right to send quilts I will be on board with that.
                          Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                          sigpic

Comment

• Blondie
                            Missouri Star
                            • May 2010

My Daddy always said that the RC was there for photo ops. He saw it first hand during WWII and afterwards. That is one reason I generally give to the Salvation Army. Their commanders are not getting huge salaries and generally what is donated stays within that specific community. I know of many folks first hand who have received help from them over the years. I also don't really patronize Goodwill stores unless I am looking for something specific and can't find it at any other thrift. I mean, good golly miss molly, have you seen their prices lately? I could shop at Wally world for less!

All that said, there are local churches and other community centers that will make sure folks get what is donated. I like Samaritans Purse partly because they are from NC and partly because of Billy Graham Ministries. Let's not forget Operation Blessing run through CBN - they were up north after Sandy immediately.

Whatever we give the Lord will multiply!

Blondie
                            Sewing mends the soul.
                            sigpic

~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

• Tamara J Liddell
                              Batting Beauty
                              • Jul 2011

Thank you to everyone who has offered their help and have been so patient with us as we try to devise a plan.  Many wonderful ideas were sen...

Found this one also going through my feed on Facebook..
                              http://quiltsnsewing.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X