Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default I stayed nice, but the outcome wasn't so great

If you read Pam's thread about being nice I mentioned about getting a third property tax bill in Calif. I made the call this morning and had a glimmer of hope that this third bill was a mistake. The first two people asked if it was a trailer. The assessors ID # was different than the other two. Yeah it's a mistake!

My third transfer brought me to the tax collectors office. What a sweet woman. I said excuse me my cat is trying to scratch my leg and jumping on the paper work. She say's she has 8 cat's and went on about how they are God's messengers and they each have something to tell you. We talked for about a half hour about all sort's of things. Really sweet.

Well needless to say that didn't get me out of this third bill for $4840. Now I owe a whopping amount of $15,435. She gave me a direct # to go on a payment plan. At least I don't have to go back to that dang menu. I hate menu's lol

My title was supposed to say I stayed nice. I wish we could edit that!
    Last edited by Hulamoon; May 15th, 2013 at 04:35 PM.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I stayed but the outcome wasn't so great

Oh my ouch!
    SandyWhite
    Ocala, Florida
    http://handpiecing.blogspot.com

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I stayed nice, but the outcome wasn't so great

Hehe, I learned how to do something new!

Have any of the people that you talked to told you why you've gotten 3 different tax bills? That just seems strange to me. I've always gotten one where I've owned homes, everything was combined on one bill. Sure was a lot easier to keep track of.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

That is strange..why three bills, only thing I can think of is 1. City 2. County 3. State......I have never heard of this!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

How did you change the title? How weird. lol

Well the reason is, is that even though I was paying the taxes they went back since I inherited it and did an adjustment for three years. Since she is just an aunt and not my mom, dad or children I'm just another person taking over the property. So these are all adjustments for increase in value. I understood her explanation of why that is when she told me but for the life of me I can't explain it.

If I go on this payment plan I have to pay interest. I don't know how much yet. I don't feel like talking to them anymore today. lol

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I finally figured out on this post that as a moderator I can edit thread titles. I had tried before, but never got it right (and it was really simple!)

As for the interest, I would think that you would pay less interest to your bank if you took out a signature loan to pay off the taxes right away. I may be wrong, but the government agencies never seem to be the ones that charge the lowest interest rates.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot you were a mod. lol

This nice woman is sending me the paper work and I'm going to call this guy in the morning and then I can compare. Other than that I will have to take it out of my renters account. Well the bright side is that this is a one time thing and I asked what the taxes will be from now on. Not great but not too bad.

This has been a long three years. Taking care of her, renovating, renting. Seems never ending.

Lorie

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Lorie, hope this all works out easily for you.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Is this your primary home, or will you be using it as a primary or rental home? If you will, don't forget that the $15k in extra property taxes can be taken as a schedule A deduction (if personal property) or rental expense (if rental property), on your 2013 taxes. That'll be $15,000 less in taxable income!
    I'm a MBA student, studying for my CPA

10. Thanks SallyO'Sews thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

You mentioned California. Sigh. California has this interesting government instrument called a "Supplemental Assessment. " With a Supplemental Assessment, the State gets to go back and look at different situations and levy property taxes each time a taxable event occurs. So you probably got a regular property tax bill and then two Supplemental Assessments.

If you can pay the property taxes over time, do so. The Federal Government hits you with the Alternative Minimum Tax if you try to deduct "too much" property tax in any single year. When we bought this house brand new, the county assessed it as bare land for three years and then hit us with a wow-ser of a Supplemental Assessment. I had known that the county had messed up, so I dutifully saved the money until they got their Supplemental Assesment right. Guess what? That extra $9000 pushed us into AMT and I couldn't deduct the property taxes NOR take my kids as exemptions. I paid a lot of money to the Federal Government because the County had messed up. Totally unfair, but legal.
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?