Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

Question Mug Rug Question

Is there something I can include in the mug rug "sandwich" that would prevent dampness from going through to a wooden table, for example, a cold glass of lemonade on a hot day sweats. I was wondering if the stuff that is used in a "hot pad" might work? Any ideas? thanks, dmt

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mug Rug Question

You can use insulbrite in them. I've used it in placemats.
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I've used insulbright in hot pads as well, but I'm not sure it would stop the dampness you are talking about. I know on the instructions for insulbright it tells you to use extra layers of batting to absorb the moisture from steam, etc. The only thing I can think of that would work is some laminated fabric as the backing fabric, sort of give it that waterproof layer.

I've been using a quilted coaster, (cotton, batting, cotton) and my glass has sweated but never soaked through, yet. Maybe put 2 layers of batting and try it out?
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Or use PUL - otherwise known as polyurethane laminated fabric, a lot more technical than just a plastic backing on fabric. The original application is the medical field, and it is still used for this purpose. Like cloth diapers, it is used to replace disposable products with reusable. It provides the waterproof barrier needed in the medical field that can survive multiple institutional washings. The laminate can also be autoclaved, which is a very high heat steam sterilization process, to make it safe for reuse even after it comes into contact with blood or other bodily fluids.

JoAnns carries it to make diaper covers and often used in diaper bags.
    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS SO MUCH, I will check at JoAnns soon. I knew I could count on you ladies! dmt