Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shiny Thimble

Post Thanks / Like

Default stitch in the ditch vs FMQ

A lot of the patterns I find for FMQ also mention that they are great for fillers. I just finished a quilt top that has some pretty busy prints (the pattern is Surf Shop by "crazyoldladies" ... so the blocks are 12 "surfboards" that measure about 7x18 inches each, in 4 different designs (verticle piece down the middle of one, horizontal sash across another, two inverted "v's" on another so it sort of looks like a flip flop, and the last with just a flower applique." I'm still pretty new to quilting and am not sure how to choose the quilting pattern, or when it's better for the overall design and feel of the quilt to stitich in the ditch. I wish I could post a picture of the top here so someone could weigh in with suggestions but I don't know if that's possible. Oh, and in case it's relevant, the finished top is about 44" x 60" ... it's for a baby gift. So many of the FMQ disigns I find mention that they are great for "filler", but I don't really have much space on this top that doesn't already have a lot going on. Will these designs detract from the fabric patterns? Also, so many colors that I can't really find a thread color that will just blend in everywhere. Help please!

Prairie Pointer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: stitch in the ditch vs FMQ

you could do the stitch in the ditch and then echo around within the inside...

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

A meandering stitch works great for a busy quilt top, at least in my opinion and I think it's easier to do that SITD. Mine is more like stitch near the ditch, never wants to stay where it's supposed to. With a meander you can make it as close or as far apart as you want. Closer makes the quilt stiffer, father apart allows for more softness. There is one FMQ pattern, I think most people call it pond or water, sort of big lazy flattened out S shapes. That might work well with surf boards.

Oh, and you can post a picture here, just click on the little icon that looks like a photo in the links above where you type the message. You might have to size the picture down in Paint first if it is too big.
    K is for Karen .....................Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
    T - is it TRUE?
    H - is it HELPFUL?
    I - is it INSPIRING?
    N - is it NECESSARY?
    K - is it KIND?

Check my User Notes.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D9P Quilted by MSQ (800x600).jpg 
Views:	975 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	47196Karen is right. A meandering stitch does not detract from busy prints. I did not do the quilting on this one. MSQ did a beautiful job. I still need to attach binding, but you can see that the design is great for these types of prints.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

There's really no right or wrong way to do your quilting. It's just a matter of deciding what you think will look best with your quilt. I suggest you look through people's albums and look at their quilts and how they quilted them. It may give you some ideas on what would look good on your quilt.
    Bec

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bunch of machine embroidery patterns like loops, tulips, etc. I just printed pattern out at the size I wanted and used that gold paper to FMQ. I don't like all over patterns.

I had a fabric like yours, but mine was otters. I did a raggy using the printed patterns from the embroidery patterns,

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I use meandering stitch on practically all of my baby quilts because of the busyness of the prints and the fact that I can do it successfully and usually pretty quickly. The quilts turn out very soft when finished. Here are a few I've done lately.

Name:	falling charms quilt.jpg 
Views:	801 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	47227

Name:	foster girl quilt with backing.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	47228

Name:	reptile quilt 1.jpg 
Views:	479 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	47229

Binding Belle

Post Thanks / Like

Jean did you do the quilting on a long arm machine or a "normal" sewing machine? they all look fab and I really like the border on the last quilt, do you know the name of it please.

Batting Beauty

Post Thanks / Like

I do prefer meandering to SID, much easier. always looks great!

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen83flowers View Post
    Jean did you do the quilting on a long arm machine or a "normal" sewing machine? they all look fab and I really like the border on the last quilt, do you know the name of it please.
    Long arm, but it could easily be done on a regular machine. Border was a bargain fabric on sale at Hancock, don't know if it has a name.