Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10" Paper Piecing Squares substitute

I've done a lot of paper piecing on copier paper and it has worked fine. Be sure to shorten your stitch length. Thanks, Gayle, for the link for the nice 10" papers. I will pass this link along.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

If it's not fancy paper piecing, why not use a thin muslin? Maybe check out the thrift stores. That way you don't have to tear off paper.

Or better yet, use an 11" square of fabric, lay it down, wrong side up, layer a piece of 11" batting on top, then strip piece on top of that then square to 10". A quilt as you go. Good excuse to use all those pretty stitches on your machine without the bulk of the quilt to worry with.
    Vonnie

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my paper peicing quilt I used phone book papers, they worked like a charm!

Beginning Stitcher

Post Thanks / Like

I do a lot of paper piecing with the scribble pads (Dollar General) and my stitch set to 1.5. I have no problems at all. Tearing off the back is no problem at all. I leave the paper on while I join the blocks together, which keep all the edges tight.

Sometime I do "pre-stitch" without thread, but honestly, a lot of times I skip that step, without any problems at all.

Do you all have the "Add a Quarter Inch" ruler? I also use my "add an Eighth Inch" ruler when making Paper Pieced cards. I like Carol Doak's card templates for those./ She (Carol) has a great book of 50 small templates for cards, which could easily be enlarge. Sorry I am off topic.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Regular copy paper for me. Works just fine. I would worry about the phonebook pages when you ironed your pieces. I think the ink could come off on your fabric.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I use wax paper whenever I make a string quilt. I find it comes off easily and isn't too expensive. You have to remember to shorten your stitch length of course. I will pre-cut 10" squares of wax paper, make my block, resize the block to 9.5 or 9", then remove the paper.
    See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com