Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Honey Bun

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 10" Paper Piecing Squares substitute

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Don't waste your money on fancy paper for paper-piecing. Go to the art section in Walmart. Pick up a tablet of tracing paper. It's super cheap and works great. That's the only thing I use for paper-piecing. Seriously, you will be so happy to use this product and save yourself some bucks. There are 40 9" X 12" sheets of paper on a tablet. I'm guessing one tablet is less than $2. The Phone book pages sounds good, but I think it would be very confusing to use it because of all the print on the paper. Another trick that I'm using and it works really well is to stack as many sheets of paper as you need for repeats. Take the thread out of your sewing machine. Sew over the lines on the pattern. When you're done you've got all your copies ready to go on your tracing paper. All you have to do is add the numbers. The other benefit is the added perforations make it even easier to tear away the paper.
    Lots of ideas today - and saving money Thanks from Annie

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered these from MSQC. My order says it is fulfilled and they didn't say anything about not having them, so they must be in stock right now. Good luck.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I have a project in play at the moment that required paper piecing and I did not care for the price of most of available items. So I went into my craft stash and found some tissue paper....cut it to the right size and it works great! You do have to be a bit gentle with it as it tears easily, but oh it is a great alternative when you need sizes that are not standard.
    Sandy B.
    "A heart that gives will never be empty."

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccas-sewing View Post
    Don't waste your money on fancy paper for paper-piecing. Go to the art section in Walmart. Pick up a tablet of tracing paper. It's super cheap and works great. That's the only thing I use for paper-piecing. Seriously, you will be so happy to use this product and save yourself some bucks. There are 40 9" X 12" sheets of paper on a tablet. I'm guessing one tablet is less than $2. The Phone book pages sounds good, but I think it would be very confusing to use it because of all the print on the paper. Another trick that I'm using and it works really well is to stack as many sheets of paper as you need for repeats. Take the thread out of your sewing machine. Sew over the lines on the pattern. When you're done you've got all your copies ready to go on your tracing paper. All you have to do is add the numbers. The other benefit is the added perforations make it even easier to tear away the paper.
    Thanks for that tip! I was going to Wal-Mart this morning anyway (school supplies for my grandson) and picked up 2 pads of tracing paper. The size is 9 x 12. 40 acid free sheets and was $2.97 each. I was a happy camper. Thanks, again, Rebecca.
    Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

UN-Biased

Post Thanks / Like

The scribble pads at Dollar Tree have 60 9x12 sheets for $1.

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

Natalie always used the phone book sheets, they work great. 10" squares are handy if you don't want to precut your stuff to 10" - also, if you have any other sizes that would be great, let us know, I'd be happy to do some others if you had great project ideas for them.

Designer Diva

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dwil23 View Post
    I use copier paper as well. When I start to tear it away, I get a Q-tip and a little water in a bowl. Just dampen your stitching line if you have any trouble and it will come right off.
    Be careful with the water... if you are using an ink jet printer, the ink can run and will not come out!
    Just One More Yard - Blog
    Just One More Yard - Craftsy

A clean house is the sign of a broken sewing machine!

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I find copier paper is too thick and the stitches come apart at the edges. Phone book paper is great. It's also good for wacky web blocks.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I used copier paper the one time I have done some paper pieced blocks and sewed over the lines with a needle that was not threaded. I stacked all the papers up, stapled them together at the edges then sewed along the lines. It perforated the paper which tore off easily.
    There a lots of folks I know that use dryer sheets and phone books for foundations.

9 Patch Princess

Post Thanks / Like

I use copy paper and set my stitch length to 1.5 and I never have a problem tearing the paper off.