Hi Guest, Welcome to the quilting forums, register now —or—

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Who Has A Sewing Room In The Basement?

My sewing room is attached to the house but I have to go outside to go in the sewing room. Since I work I'm not usually in my sewing room past 8 pm during the week. I don't mind it because it's a large area (was added to the house for a storage room). I have a front and back door, windows all across the back, heat, air conditioning.....so I'm comfortable. There is no way I could use our basement...it is just a tiny room and it gets damp (and the boogieman and his spiders live there).
    Shirley aka buckeyequilter
    I work to support a sewing habit that I don't have time for, because I work!

2. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WendyI View Post
    If your basement is finished and you plan to add a window and such, and it's got the feel of the rest of your home then I see no reason not to put it down there. I personally would prefer a garden view but if you can get more space then I always go for space! Right now I'm starting to absorb my upstairs family room and it's getting really cramped up here. It's really more of a sitting room but my boys like to be near me when I'm sewing as to all the animals so it gets pretty crowded. LOL! I have been thinking of knocking out the wall in the spare bedroom to make the "family room" bigger!!

I think your new room in the basement sounds great...you have to weigh the pros and cons in your own mind. Make a list of how you sew...do you often check food in the oven like others? Do you like to wander in and out like Barb at all hours? Will you have a place for your DH to spend time down there with you? I love lists for making decisions!
    Hi Wendy, the great is that I could still see the gardan from the basement. It will be even better when there are 3 windows rather just the 2.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html

The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

My sewing room is on the second floor, in my daughters old bedroom (both daughters are married and moved out). My basement was finished a while ago and it is our main tv / entertainment hub. And, actually, my daughter and her husband lived down there for the first two years of their marriage - it helped them save money for their house. Also, it is the place that my sister and her husband stay when they come visit for a few days at a time. There is no room for me to put my sewing room down there.

5. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

I just wish I had a basement :|
    2015 is here
    Be Bold and Bravely put one foot in front of the other

7. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is in the basement, avhuge room my dh made for me and I lovev it. Good partnis so much room, and he lit it up like you would'nt believe, but I do miss natural light. Bad part is no bathroom down there and the older I get the more it is becoming an issue! Your space sounds likevitvwo6ld be lovely, goodnluck with your decision.

9. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

No basements here, we are on the edge of swamp land and the water table is way too high. I have crayfish in my yard.

I think it all depends on the basement. My husband and I lived in his parent's finished basement. Dehumidifiers took care of the dampness issues, it was very comfortable.

Our first house of our own, however, no way no how could there be anything in the basement. Too dark too damp too BLECH, house was almost 100 years old.

Sounds like your basement will make a WONDERFUL sewing room!
    Cathryn

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

We have three bedrooms, two on the main floor and ours is upstairs, which is really the attic made into a bedroom the full length of the house. Our basement is 3/4 finished and 1/4 remains a work/storage area. There is a bathroom down there with a toilet, sink and shower. My laundry is also in the bathroom. My daughter and son-in-law live down there right now. They have the large main room that they use for their living room, kitchen and have partitioned off an area for my daughters step son when he is here. There is a separate room for their bedroom. I've thought about putting my sewing room down there someday but I have a full sized room on the main floor that I have been forever changing to get it the way I want it. I figure that by the time I could move to the basement, I'll like the room I'm in too much to move.
    It's a good idea as long as its dry. Let us know what you decide, and post pics.

Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

My sewing studio is in our finished basement. We live on a hill, so water is/hasn't been a problem. We have small windows, but hubby put in lots of great lighting when we finished the ceiling. The family room is down there, so as they play or watch tv, I can sew and we can all be together doing our own activities. It is cooler in the summer and, with the addition of a propane fireplace, warm and toasty in the winter. Our son has a desk in one corner for his studies, so I am handy and close in my sewing area for his many questions and to keep him on pace. I have my mid-arm quilting machine, shelving, and ironing board set up all the time. I have a large cabinet for cutting and a corner cabinet for the sewing machine and serger. I have a table to stack things on or do crafts on in the studio, too. It is a tight space, but very workable. I don't have a bathroom, but it is just up the stairs. I do have a small kitchen area to have access to a frig or a coffee pot, if wanted. It works for us.
    When we first moved here, I had a small spare bedroom on the second floor. Baby number 3 took that space within a few years. I moved my sewing to the corner of the schoolroom/dining room. I didn't sew near as much then. I was busier with the kiddos and although conveniently located, I had to keep it clean all the time.....just didn't work well for me. I still keep my stash in the walk in closet/attic storage of that first bedroom, but the bedroom is needed for visiting kids and guests. So........when we finished the basement, I moved the sewing to the basement. If you are following along....yes, my stash is 2 floors up from my sewing studio....which is not handy, but it does keep the family room neater and I can call it exercise to go look for fabric! I do have shelving and lots of scraps in the studio, which eliminates frequent trips up 2 floors!! I always thought as the kids moved out I would take over a bedroom upstairs again. NOPE!!!.......with kids living away, they need sleeping spaces when they return home.....at least for now. If mobility ever becomes an issue, we can make some changes....but I believe the stair climbing is good for me, at least for now!

13. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    The Guild President

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer being on the main floor, as stairs are an enemy to me. Also think about the lighting in the basement???
    I have 2 large windows in my sewing / masterbedroom (huge one). where I am content to have natural light
    in the room while sewing. I have a TV in there and can watch or listen to programs while sewing. And my two doggy babies are always with me. Lighting would be more of a concern for me and stairs , forget it
    Simone a.k.a Ellimay

Sewing is cheaper than therapy

15. Thanks Sew Perfect thanked for this post
    Missouri Star

Post Thanks / Like

It really seems like everyone has a nice sewing space so far. What I'm reading is that nearly everyone who sews in their finished basement really loves it.
    MISA
    I am a material girl. Wanna see my fabric collection?

http://www.aprairiehomequilts.com/qu...ng-quotes.html